Thread: Unable to get scanpst.exe in windows 7 64 bit

Unable to get scanpst.exe in windows 7 64 bit

I am using windows 7 64 bit operating system since I have upgraded the system with all the new software’s and drivers in the machine. I have also installed outlook connector to get an access my e-mails through the hotmail. But recently I am getting trouble to access the emails from the hotmail. I have done search and found that scanpst.exe is missing in the windows 7. I think this is the reason why I am getting this error. Is there anybody can tell me what problem I am facing in the machine. And also let know what the scanpst.exe is and what its work is and also how it helps in outlook to access the mail. Please help me.

Re: Unable to get scanpst.exe in windows 7 64 bit

As you have told that you are getting the error in accessing the mail through the hotmail using outlook connector so I would like tell you that it may be occurring due to the damage of the .ost file and .pst files. So I think you have to do the checking of the file I have suggested in the post and I am sure that if this is causes the error then I think the repair of these files will help you to get an access to the mails you have in the hotmail. I think you should try using these things to get the desired solution.

Yes you are right that scanpst.exe is the reason why you are not getting access of the mails in the inbox of the hotmail. I think to get the desired solution you should try doing the following points which I am describing below:
    • First of all if you have any hidden files and folders then just do they unhide?
    • Check if the “show hidden files and folders” are disabling then make them enable.
    • After doing all these things go to the my computer and in organize option you will get the Folder and Search Options then go to View Tab and in that option check that the Show Hidden Folders and Files and see if there is any Hide Extensions for Known File Types is checked then make them uncheck.
    • After doing all these things I think you will get the desired solution.

I think you need to repair the scanpst.exe which seems that might get damage so to repair just follow the point which I have given below:
    • First of all you have check the location of the scanpst.exe to choose the outlook data file which is damaged and you want to repair.
    • To get the location of the file you can use the path I am giving here. Fist go to the start option and after this go to the my computer and then from the menu go to the Program files(x86) in that you will get Microsoft office and select the office 12 and then in that you will get the ScanPST.exe
    • To repair the scanpst.exe file just use the path and this will take some to repair the damage “C:\Users\<Account Name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.” After entering this into the box click on the start and the repairing process will start.
    • As soon as you will click on the repair process it start scanning and then you will get a message and then click on the repair option in the message.
    • After all this is happened try opening the outlook and see if the problem is goes away or not.

As you want to know that what is scanpst.exe file then I want tell you that Scanpst.exe is a without charge service from Microsoft intended to fix damage or broken Outlook PST files. And it done nothing and in any kind it will not affect the access of the hotmail email that issues you are getting in accessing the email I think just because of the .ost file and .pst file. So check out them and see you will get out of the problem.

HI ,

If you can't be able to open your Offline Folder file (.ost), or you suspect that your .ost data file is corrupted, you can use the Inbox Repair OST File tool (Scanost.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. It takes minimum time to perform this process.