Thread: Microsoft Outlook closed improperly when Windows restarts

Microsoft Outlook closed improperly when Windows restarts

I have some issue with the Microsoft Outlook. Yesterday I was using the MS outlook for the whole day and then suddenly I started receiving pop ups for the error saying that the MS Outlook closed improperly. It says that the .ost file for the Microsoft Outlook has closed improperly. In order to end up all the things I had to restart the Microsoft Outlook. This has started to happen recently, and has been encountered for the first time and was seen when for the first time I went for the updates. I want to have the updates removed and will hope to have the solution in this respect. Please help me with the situation this manner. Also I have seen that the Windows gets restarted every now and then Whenever I launch the Outlook, any suggestion on this.

Re: Microsoft Outlook closed improperly when Windows restarts

On the first note please tell me what is the version of the Outlook that you have on your system? I just want to know if you are using the Microsoft Outlook 2003 or Microsoft Outlook 2007. If at all you are using the first one then I would suggest you to switch to the Microsoft Outlook 2007, as I think that it is the one that can really serve you well in today’s environment. In addition to that please let me know if you have an exchange server account or if at all you do not have that then at least an imap account. Regarding the Windows Getting Restarted again and again then I think that going for the reinstallation of the Windows will be the one that I would suggest here. See the above things and make your post soon in this matter.

I think that you will be required to make use of the System Restore and really see if that can help. As that is the only thing that I can suggest you here, I would have done the same if I would have been in your place. Go to the Start by pressing the Windows Button or clicking on the Start on the screen at the bottom left corner. Go to the Programs and then go to the Accessories. Under the Accessories you will be able to see the System Tools and after that you will have to choose the System Restore. Just restore back to the Date before this thing happened with. I think by doing this you will be able to avoid the reinstallation of the Microsoft Outlook and the Windows. Try this and let me know about the progress.

I have already been with the same issue in the Microsoft Outlook. Regarding the .ost file, this file is actually an offline folder that is present in the Microsoft Outlook. These are the folders that can help the user to make the required changes even if they are not online and see the changes when they go online the next time. The offline folder helps to synchronize the changes with the Exchange server when the next time the online connection is established. Now how I got out of this issue. I am using the Windows 7 and at that time I was using the imap service. However I was able to fix the issue when I went in the Control Panel and searched for the indexing option. Under the Outlook I unchecked the box that was present in front of the Main OST or PST. See if that can help you here as well.

Looking at the things that you have mentioned above I think that you can try for repairing the .ost file as I think that the .ost file must have got damaged and hence you will be required to do the needful here:
    • First Close Outlook.
    • Then press the Windows Button and the R key on the keyboard.
    • The Run window will appear, you will be required to enter the following command in there: drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\LocaleID\scanost.exe
    • After that happen successfully Click on the OK.
    • Here I wanted you to scan the folders and hence you will see two options Scan all folders or Choose folder to scan
    • After the scan completes select Repair errors check box
    • Then click on the Begin Scan
    • If at all you cannot see the issue getting cleared you can try to disable the current .ost file and then create a new one instead:
    • Go to the Tools
    • Under the tools click on the E-mail Accounts
    • After that click View or change existing e-mail accounts
    • Then you will be required to click on the Next.
    • You will get a list and in that list you will be required to click Microsoft Exchange Server
    • After that you will have to click on the Change
    • Then click on the More Settings then Advanced tab and after that click Offline Folder File Settings
    • After all this you will be required to click on the Disable Offline Use
    • For creating the new .ost file you will be required to enter in the File box and then type the path to the file you want to use as the new .ost file.

See if this can help a bit with the situation that you are facing at the moment.

I think that you can seriously go with the System Restore option as that was suggested above. I think that it is best way to have the situation handled and it is really and pretty handy way of doing the things. Well after you do the System Restore if you want you can go with the updates and see if this time it gives you the same issue, and if it really gives you then I think that going for the clean installation of the Windows and the Microsoft Office will be the best way to deal with the issue. If all the above things fail then it is the only thing that I can suggest you at this time. Please let me know what you have opted for. Waiting for the arrival of next post of yours, and will hope to have that soon.