Thread: Cannot highlight distinct cells in different rows and column in a Pivot table ?

Cannot highlight distinct cells in different rows and column in a Pivot table ?

I have got a desktop system and Windows Xp operating system , I work in a organization that deals with the Sales of garments and I am working as a data analyst in that firm , so I have to generate reports on the weekly basis both of this year and the previous year as well. I have created a two dimensional table in which the rows represent the the month and week, my column represents the data of last and current year's sales quantity. I am facing an issue when I try to highlight any cell of a week or an year with the cell of quantity or city's name it does not work. If you do not get what I mean I will make it simpler , I mean to say that I cannot highlight this years data with the previous years content, Whenever I try to highlight it, shading of the some of the cell turns into black . I do not understand why this happens . I need an urgent report to be created once I have analyzed the two years records, but I am unable to do this . Does anyone has the solution for this ? P.S I am using MS Office 2007.

Re: Cannot highlight distinct cells in different rows and column in a Pivot table ?

You mean to say that you want to compare the sales made in last year along with it's quantity and cities with the current year records.I would suggest you to create a custom format or you will be able to highlight the cells completely in the custom format in that case , redo the same and refresh but I think it will highlight the record only on the base of row , but not with the column.can you post a screen Shot of your issue ?

Re: Cannot highlight distinct cells in different rows and column in a Pivot table ?

I am very sorry my friend , my company's policies does not allow me to do so and I am not suppose to display those records in public. I know it would have been much easier if I could have shown you with the screen shot but I am helpless. Tell me What did you not get ? I want to highlight a an individual record or a collection of cells , not the whole table. Suppose I have got 30 rows and 6 columns in each , I wish to shade 4 rows in the first column and only 1 in the second, so I am asking is it possible in the spreadsheet . Please let me know once you have researched yourself.

To automate a repetitive task, you can quickly record a macro (macro: An action or a set of actions that you can use to automate tasks. Macros are recorded in the Visual Basic for Applications programming language.) in Microsoft Office Excel. You can also create a macro by using the Visual Basic Editor (Visual Basic Editor: An environment in which you write new and edit existing Visual Basic for Applications code and procedures. The Visual Basic Editor contains a complete debugging toolset for finding syntax, run-time, and logic problems in your code.) in Microsoft Visual Basic to write your own macro script, or to copy all or part of a macro to a new macro. After you create a macro, you can assign it to an object (such as a toolbar button, graphic, or control) so that you can run it by clicking the object. If you no longer use a macro, you can delete it.
    • Record a macro

When you record a macro, the macro recorder records all the steps required to complete the actions that you want your macro to perform.
    • If the Developer tab is not available, do the following to display it:
      • Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, and then click Excel Options.
      • In the Popular category, under Top options for working with Excel, select the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon check box, and then click OK.
    • To set the security level temporarily to enable all macros, do the following:
    • On the Developer tab, in the Code group, click Macro Security.
    • Excel Ribbon Image
    • Under Macro Settings, click Enable all macros (not recommended, potentially dangerous code can run), and then click OK.
    • On the Developer tab, in the Code group, click Record Macro.
    • In the Macro name box, enter a name for the macro.

• To assign a CTRL combination shortcut key (shortcut key: A function key or key combination, such as F5 or CTRL+A, that you use to carry out a menu command. In contrast, an access key is a key combination, such as ALT+F, that moves the focus to a menu, command, or control.) to run the macro, in the Shortcut key box, type any lowercase letter or uppercase letter that you want to use.