Thread: How to enable the grayed out undo and redo buttons in Excel ?

How to enable the grayed out undo and redo buttons in Excel ?

Hello friends I am a clerk and I do the work of data entry. I mostly do my data entry in the MS Excel at my office which has MS Office 2010. Due to enormous workload, I do my pending work at my home in my desktop system which had a MS Office 2003 installed previously, since my I work in 2010 version at my work place so I installed the newer version in my home pc as well. But I am facing an issue with the excel sheet. I am not not able to undo or redo the changes made in my excel sheet, so in case if accidentally edit something wrong, I cannot undo the change. I have checked it with the Office 2010 products as well , I checked in Access , word, power point, outlook.Everything works fine in those tools , but I am concerned about Excel only, because my work depends on MS Excel only. I have never encounter this problem i the older versions of MS Office. Please suggest your valuable solutions for this issue, if you have any. P.s I use Windows Xp home edition operating system.

Re: How to enable the grayed out undo and redo buttons in Excel ?

By default, Microsoft Excel keeps track of 16 "undo" levels. Undo levels provide an undo history for most actions that you perform in Excel. You can change the number of undo levels by adding an entry in the Microsoft Windows registry.Note that I recommend that you do not increase the number of undo levels beyond 100. The more you increase the number of undo levels, the more random access memory (RAM) Excel requires to store the undo history. This affects the performance of Excel. By default, Excel allocates RAM for 16 undo levels. The registry setting that is described in this article lets you change the default value to a value that you specify. If the undo history is set to zero, no memory is allocated for undoing actions. The higher the undo history value, the more memory Excel allocates for the history. This directly affects the performance of your computer when you run Excel.When you run a Visual Basic for Applications macro, Excel allocates no memory for undoing actions. This feature is disabled for optimization of performance when you run a macro.This method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.
    Last edited by Selvaraj-N; 26-11-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Id changed

I think you are clicking on the same cell again, just check if the undo and redo buttons get enabled once you click over some other cell. But these buttons should not be grayed out whether you click on the same cell or some other cell. Well in that case I do not think that even the shortcuts will work for this issue, but still you give it a try, here are the shortcuts if you do not know, press control and 'z' key altogether for undo and control with 'y' for redo.Please let me know if it works or not.

I tried the short cuts , both are not working as you said, I did not think as you did, I did not even bother to think that the short cuts of both the commands are available near the file menu command. If you are trying to tell me that I should open the code and change the parameters of the procedure 'Worksheet_selection_change , I tried it too but it did not work as well. I got the solution myself. I checked the Microsoft's official website and discovered that I have changed the registry settings to zero, which is by default to 16 . I just followed the instructions and got back the default settings . Thanks for your help.

How can those short cut work if the command from the file menu does not work, why do not you people think sensibly . I think I have sorted out the issue and probably the solution as well. A worksheet_event is being triggered some how from some code that is existing in your worksheet. So whenever you are trying to undo and redo the changes being made, the undo and redo stacks in the back end are getting cleared. If you know a bit of Visual; Basic you can fix this on you own .I do not have any idea about programming language , you can refer Julia Case Bradley book , that is the best in VB. post your latest update.

I will show the actual editor with an example. Suppose if you want to convert a dollar amount of 123 dollars and 45 cents , then you will take a float identifier say 'A1' and store the value as 123.45 and you will use the Format function named as 'NumberAsText' on the variable A1 and stored the resulted value in some other variable say B1. While writing in the excel sheet you will store the 123.45 value in separate column and the converted value in words in some some other cell.NumberAsText' Format function is available in different forms, If you just use it as it is it will give the result in simpler manner . But the number when expressed in word have include the conjunctions such as 'And' as well and you can also ad keywords such as Dollars and cents as well. Please give the feed back , whether the resolution was up to your level of satisfaction ?