Thread: File created in older versions of MS Office shows corrupted when opened in 2010 version ?

File created in older versions of MS Office shows corrupted when opened in 2010 version ?

I have got an assembled desktop desktop system, a monitor from samsung, AMD Athlon II processor and a all in one printer from Canon, my RAM is DDR 4GB and logitech mouse and keyboard. But my system is working fine. My son studies in 7th grade and has a lot of projects in his academic year , the school has made it mandate to make their projects using the 2010 version of Office only , so I uninstalled the previous version of year 2007 and then installed MS Office 2010. My son uses MS Power point and Word and I use MS Excel to maintain a petty cash book. But when I try to open the files which I had saved using the previous versions, an error message pops up saying that the files are corrupted. I do not know why it is showing like that , because I opened the same file in my office using 2007. Does any one know how to fix this ? I am waiting for your reply. P.S I use Windows xp operating system.

Re: File created in older versions of MS Office shows corrupted when opened in 2010 version ?

It happens in many cases when you try to open an existing file created in the previous version of the tool, and mostly in Office tools. As you mentioned that you are able to view it in the older versions then the file is not corrupted .I think I have got solution to fix it. First of all open the MS excel , on the left hand side click on file and options. Open the Trust center and then select it's settings. In the settings you are advised to make the changes to protected view. If you see any of the options visible in the trust settings as protected , please uncheck them. Save the changes being made and close the Excel . Then reopen MS Excel and open any of those file which was showing as corrupted. I think this should work. Please get back to me if it does not work.

Re: File created in older versions of MS Office shows corrupted when opened in 2010 version ?

Well I think you faced this issue because of the operating system . You did not completely say which version of xp an office you have currently installed in your system. It might not have worked because you have a 64 Bit of Office and 32 Bit of Windows. Yes the above mentioned step will give you the desired results , but I will not make such changes had I been in your place. The Trust center settings is for protection and I will not recommend you to fiddle with those settings. Instead I will suggest you to reinstall the previous version of MS Office and ask your son to work in it only. Meanwhile if you find any solution please do not forget to post in the thread as I am to eager how to resolve it in case if it occurs in my version of office as well.

It is also possible that the files which you have created in 2003 and 2007 versions are corrupted. Microsoft Excel provides automatic recovery for a corrupted file by attempting to reopen and simultaneously repair the file. Excel identifies what it changed while repairing the file. If the repair fails, Excel again tries to open the file but instead of attempting a repair, Excel extracts cell values and formulas leaving only the data. Under some circumstances, however, Excel won't automatically go into recovery mode, so users may find it necessary to recover file data manually.
    To manually repair a file:

• On the File menu, click Open.
    • In the Open dialog box, select the file you want to open, and click the arrow next to the Open button.
    • Click Open and Repair, and then choose which method you want to use to recover your workbook.

The following are additional methods you can use to recover data manually from a file that has been corrupted. Under some circumstances a disk error or network error may make it impossible to open a file. In those situations you should move your file to a different hard disk drive or from the network to a local disk before spending time implementing the recovery options outlined here.The following methods are opportunities to save data that might otherwise be lost, so if one method is not successful, try another. You can also try third-party software solutions to recover file data if you can't recover your data using these methods.
    If you can't open the file in Excel
    • Start Excel and open a blank workbook if one is not open on the screen.
    • On the Tools menu, click Options.
    • Click the Calculation tab.
    • In the Calculation section, click Manual, and then click OK.
    • On the File menu, click Open and try to open the file.

I will suggest you to follow my instructions. But these instructions can only followed once you have made changes in the Trust Center settings. Fist open any excel document, then save it in the format other than the default format of 2010. You can opt the 2007 format i.e xlsx , then again check all the option which are visible under the protected view and then click on ok. Close the Excel Sheet and reopen again and see whether it works or not. This will give you what you want and will maintain security among the files stored as any document. Get back to the Forum If it does not work.

I did try some of the above solutions but I am unable to open worksheet or word document with "xlsx" now though I reinstalled MS Office 7 and also Compatibility Pack

Quote Originally Posted by YOUSUF PANAWALA View Post
    I did try some of the above solutions but I am unable to open worksheet or word document with "xlsx" now though I reinstalled MS Office 7 and also Compatibility Pack
    Can you tell us what is the file extension of the worksheet or word document that you are trying to open? You should probably try to save the documents as .docx instead of "xlsx" and see if that works for you or not.