Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Computer reboots when loading windows

Windows Software

Old 27-11-2010

Computer reboots when loading windows

This problem is a bit perplexing and it's taken up a lot of my time

Whenever my computer is shut off for a period of 1 hour or more, after turning it back on windows will start to load (ill see the xp logo) and it will reboot. This will happen about 10 times ( a full reboot ) before windows actually loads.

Now if my computer is turned off for less than an hour, it turns right on, no problem without a single reboot. Same is true if I just "restart" the computer.

I went out 2 days ago and bought a new 320gb hard drive thinking my hard drive had gone bad, I installed it last night, installed windows onto it, installed all my drivers including motherboard chipset, and shut it down for the night.

I woke up this morning to turn it on and STILL the same problem, it rebooted a good 10 times before it finally loaded up Windows. It's become quite frustrating and you people on these forums seem really knowledgable so I was hoping somebody out there would have some insight into my problem...

I just want to be able to shut my computer down lol. I leave it on because I'm scared it might not get past the boot next time. This has also been going on for a good 8 months or more.

Old 27-11-2010

Re: Computer reboots when loading windows

Whats your system's configuration ? Its pretty strange problem mate. What i can suggest as a troubleshoot is try updating the BIOS. Most probably computer use to reboot itself due to overheating as well. Make sure this is not the case with your system. Try doing this till i'll search for some more help.
Old 29-11-2010

Okay so I have a ASUS P4SD-LA motherboard

I updated the most recent BIOS and my most recent motherboard chipset drivers.

I changed to a completely new hard drive and still the problem persisted. I tried replacing the PSU and I STILL have the same issue. I don't know what else to do. I can't afford a new computer but it's looking like I'm going to have to find a way.

I'm scared to ever turn my computer off again as every time I unplug it and every time I put a new part in or take one out it takes more and more reboots to finally boot Windows.

Any suggestions?
Old 29-11-2010

Have you checked whether it is giving you a heat issue, apply some thermal paste on the processor if you can. Try removing the cmos battery for 5 minutes. Do you see any error messages that come onto the screen. What region are you from, it might be that there could be power cut issue. Try using a UPS for stable power flow. Prior to all this can you get in the BIOS long enough to monitor the temperature and see if it is out of the normal?

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,