Thread: How to convert a decimal number into words in Excel using VBA?

How to convert a decimal number into words in Excel using VBA?

Hello friends, I have a desktop system, with core 2 duo processor , 500 GB of SATA Hard drive, 2 GB of DDR RAM and and I use Windows xp home edition as an operating system. I am in software testing profession. So it has being quite long since I have written a software program of my own which I used to do in my college days. One of my cousin approached me with a issue in his project. He is doing his project in my system. He is doing some project related to bank stuffs. He wants to use the excel sheet to print the bank relevant documents such as cheque. And he has come up with a weird idea. As he wants to convert the numbers entered in the amount column in a cheque or Demand draft into words. I know that it requires some formula and it would be better if it is done in VB , but I do not have the slightest clue, how to do it ? I make it clear again , I want to convert the amount which is entered in the cheque as in any form the currency into words and and place it into a separate cell assigned for those conversions. I do not think programmers of Visual basic will find it difficult to convert it. Please give your reply if you know. P.S I have Microsoft Office 2003.

Re: How to convert a decimal number into words in Excel using VBA?

I think it is possible to do the conversion in the office version of 2003. I know a function which is used to convert the way you want. You can use the Format function which is an inbuilt function available in the Visual Basic library. Suppose you enter an amount in Dollar currency then you can use that Format function to first convert the currency into integer then int words. You can save your time and you will have to type the amount in words each and every time you enter in the excel sheet. You can maintain separate columns for both the numerical value and the converted value in words. Using this format function you can format the entered amount as decimal in one cell and the output as text in another cell.

Yes you can definitely do that sort of conversion following the above reply, but that reply is written as if it is a reply to a programmer or a developer. I think these sort of questions should have a proper sequence which makes the user to understand. First of all you will have to open the VB editor and for that you can use the short cut as well , press the Alt and F11 key simultaneously. I am really sorry my friend, I do not know the coding part.

After entering into the VB editor , you will have to type the code for formatting and you can put a button on the form , which you can use to do the conversion function. On the single click event you will have to write the code that event procedure. but before that you will have to insert a module for that from the VBA menu and then paste the whole coding in that module. Once the coding is done you will to just invoke the procedure where you have defined the Format function for the currency conversion for decimal to words. If in case you find any difficulty get back and post your query again.