Thread: VLC not opening from installation folder

VLC not opening from installation folder

Hello friend recently installed the VLC 1.0.5 in my windows XP machine, actually I upgrade that one from the version of 1.0.3. There is no reason for update, only for using the upgrade version. After update the driver a problem is occurred in the player and the problem is while I click on the shortcut folder for the player from the start menu, this will open the player application directly instead of open the application folder. This will not happen with the other player installation folder. These are easily open the folder with the application file. Why this type of problem occurs? Anyone having any fix for this problem?

Re: VLC not opening from installation folder

I suggest you reinstall the player software, for that proceed to the add and remove feature under the control panel and then select the player name from the drop down list and select on the uninstall or remove option from that window. After the completion of reinstallation remove the entire temporary and directory file from the machine. And then go for the fresh installation of the software application. Now try to access the application file from the installation folder under start menu. I hope this time you can able to run the program from the folder of the start menu.

Having same issue with the VLC media player in my Linux compatible laptop. I tried to install the latest version in my machine, and after the installation I found the same problem, there is no short cut icon of the player, I copy and paste the icon from the installation folder, but after double click on it does not open the player, and while I tried to access the player from the Installtion folder it open the player directly instead of open the folder first. The other problem while I drag any file in the player windows first of all it takes much time and then appears a windows with the “Close the Program” option. I have to click on that option and this will close the player, or sometimes I have to stop this one from the Administration. I am not a technical person, so that is why is did all the basic ways to solve this problem, but nothing is works. What should I do? Any idea on this problem?

I had the similar issue in my Linux machine, so I am going to share the suggestion that I did in my machine. I hope this will definitely somehow help you to solve the problem. While you are closing the application directly, make sure that it stops from the background also, for that go to System Monitor under the Administration from the system tab. If it’s running over there then kill the process of player. Now got o preference window the application and select the option with the name Instances, make it allow one instance and try to switch on this. Reset the VLC configuration, you can also do this by the command, but I recommend you to do the configuration from the GUI interface. Type <CTRL> <H> for showing the hidden file and folder, now delete the VLC sub folder from the configuration folder of the application and now try to open the VLC media player.