Thread: How to make VLC the default media player for windows 7

How to make VLC the default media player for windows 7

I have a computer which is running on windows 7 OS. I have currently downloaded the VLC player from the internet and I am not making the use of windows media player anymore which is by default with the windows operating system. I am having great time while video on VLC. So I am looking to make it as the default media player for my system. At the time of installing the software it did not gave me any option to make it as default one. I do not know how to do it manually. So if you have any method to make it as default one, please help me out. Thanks.

Re: How to make VLC the default media player for windows 7

I have a nice solution for making VLC as the default one. First go to the control panel in the start. Then go to “programs” and after that go to “default programs”. In this you have go to the option of “set your default programs”. Here you have to select the VLC on the left hand side and set it as default. After doing this setting, now you VLC will be set as the default one. So try this fix as I have also implemented the same solution with my system for setting the VLC as default one. Hope have helped you.

I am facing some problem with the VLC player so I need your help in order to solve my problem. When I am trying to play the DVD with VLC, then suddenly a window pops up in between saying that “VLC cannot open 'dvd://E:\”. It tells me to check the log in order to get the detailed information about the problem, but I am not able to understand that what the “log” is. I even do not know where the log is located and what to do with it. I am running windows vista Os on my machine. I have checked the DVD on my DVD player and it is running fine there. Why I am not able to run it on my machine? If you have any idea regarding this problem please help.

Well for this particular problem I will like to suggest you a solution. So try to refer it. Open the VLC window and inside it goes to the tools option, and then go to the preferences option. Here you will find option for interface setting, so go into it. Now you have to look for the page known as “'File associations”. After getting it click on the box of “'Set up associations”. After that a new window will open up which will ask you to select all or individually, so choose anyone which you want. Save the changes and now try to test the VLC by playing it. I think that now you will be able to play it without any problem. If you are still not able to solve your problem, then reply me back.
    Last edited by Ceesar; 26-11-2010 at 05:21 PM.

I am also facing problem with the VLC player. My problem is that the VLC software which I am having on my machine is corrupted. Due to this reason I am looking to remove it from the system and install a fresh copy of the VLC player. But the problem is that when I go to the control panel for removing it. When I click on remove, then it gives me the message saying that”an error occurred while removing the VLC”. So I am struck with this problem and unable to understand that what to do with it. Please help. Thanks

As you have mentioned that you are not able to remove the VLC player by gong to the ad and remove programs option. So I will like to suggest you one solution for removing the VLC software without going to the control panel. There are VLC removal tools available on the internet using which you can remove you corrupted VLC from your machine. If you are having a live internet connection, then try to download it from the internet and after the downloading is completed now try to run that particular exe file which you have downloaded. After running this file, it will completely remove you VLC. So you can try out this one on your computer as it will definitely help you in solving you problem. I have also used this removal software once in my machine and it had removed the VLC s/w. Hope have helped you.