Thread: Excel 2010 : "filename is currently in use." error

Excel 2010 : "filename is currently in use." error

Hello friends, just recently I have uploaded the MS Office 2010 software on my computer system that was previously having Office 2007 on it. All the applications are running fine and i don have any complains about it. It was just yesterday that when I made an Excel document and after completing it when I decided to save that document, i got this error saying " cannot save file is currently in use". Although I dont have any files open and even if use different names then also I get the same problem. Can any one help me to know what this whole problem and what can be done to overcome this problem.

Re: Excel 2010 : "filename is currently in use." error

Hey have you correctly checked and are you dam sure that there are no other Excel files open, if you are sure then use the search option from the start menu and enter the name of the file that you are currently making and want it to get saved, then click on OK. After that the search result will come and try to locate whether there are any other files of the same name. If you find one then delete the file in order to save the new file which you currently want to get saved.

Hey since you were using Ms Office 2007 before installing the Office 2010, I think that the name which you are using to save this file might be exist for some of the file that are saved when you were using the Office 2007 version, so I would request you to make use of some different name or you can even use symbols and then see if it works for you or not.

One of the options that you can try is that you since you are getting the message the file is already in use so you can press alt+ctrl+del. This will open the task manager for you and you will get all the current process that it is currently running on the computer. Search in the list and check for any similar named file of excel type. If you found one then please delete that file using the End Process and then try to save this file and see if it happens. This usually happens when you might have left a file without saving it sometime back and it is that the file still comes in the task manager processes.I hope that it will work for you

Hey I am also facing the same problem with Office 2010, in my case both the excel and the word files are not getting saved and I am getting the error as filename is currently in use. I have checked for similar names files but I wasn't able to locate any of them with similar names. Also, I have checked in task manager for the files process but wasn't able to locate any. Can any one help me to sort this problem out as I am not able to complete my work as the save option is unable to work.

Hey I would like to ask you that have you uninstalled the previous version of the MS office before uploading the new one. If not then please do this, as this is the only reason for the files not being saved. Having both the version installed simultaneously will overlap both the documents and will cause error in saving this file. So it is advice to please remove the Ms Office 2007. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.