Thread: Filenames appear as hexadecimal code in excel ?

Filenames appear as hexadecimal code in excel ?

I have got a desktop system with Windows Vista as an operating system. I have just upgraded my system. I made a bit of changes in both hardware and software changes in my system. I changed the old mother board and bought an ASUS one and replaced the Pentium 4 processor with quad core. As far as the software changes I changed the Office 2003 and installed 2007 version instead . But the temporary file stored in the excel storage appear in some big digit number. I do not understand what is that.

Re: Filenames appear as hexadecimal code in excel ?

let me inform you that the there are some temporary files with .tmp extension which are stored in network Attached Storage or NAS and I think but not sure , it is possible that the number you are witnessing a .tmp extension in hexadecimal value. If you are not the administrator you will not be able to see in the correct format. If you cannot view it properly you do not possess the access rights . Ask the person who created those files to log in and see if still it is visible in hexadecimal form. The actual file name will appear in such numbers , not only in excel but in word and power point as well.

I think he is right , you are not the on who created those files that is why you are getting hexadecimal numbers instead of file name. But still I will suggest you one more way , let us check whether it works for you . Try to open the file in the safe mode and see if the correct name of the file is visible or not. If you do not know how to go to safe mode , go to Advance boot Options after continuously tapping F8 keys , press Enter and select safe mode or safe mode with Networking. In Safe mode with networking you will be able to connect with the internet as well. So better opt for that instead of safe mode.

When you save an existing file in Excel, Excel creates a temporary file in the destination folder that you specify in the Save As dialog box. The temporary file contains the whole contents of your workbook. If Excel successfully saves the temporary file, the temporary file is renamed with the file name you specify in the Save As dialog box.
    This process of saving files makes sure that the original file is not damaged. The original file is useful if the save operation is not successful.
    When Excel saves a file, Excel follow these steps:
    • Excel creates a randomly named temporary file (for example, Cedd4100 with no file name extension) in the destination folder that you specified in the Save As dialog box. The whole workbook is written to the temporary file.
    • If changes are being saved to an existing file, Excel deletes the original file.
    • Excel renames the temporary file. Excel gives the temporary file the file name that you specified (such as Book1.xls) in the Save As dialog box.

• Important Points About Saving

• After Excel creates and saves the temporary file, all the changes are written to the temporary file.
    • If Excel cannot delete the existing file, you receive an error message. The original file and the temporary file both remain in the destination folder.
    • If Excel can delete the existing file, but Excel cannot rename the temporary file, you receive an error message. Only the temporary file remains in the destination folder.
    • If Excel saves a new file for the first time, Excel does not create a temporary file. Excel saves the file with the file name that you specified in the Save As dialog box.