Thread: Cannot open the powerpoint files in MS Powerpoint 2007 created in older versions of MS OffIce ?

Cannot open the powerpoint files in MS Powerpoint 2007 created in older versions of MS OffIce ?

Hi everyone , I am a data analyst and analyst a big stock of data everyday, so i have to prepare a presentation almost in every month. I am in this profession since 12 years , so I have a large volume of power point files in in various format of MS Power point. Since I upgraded my system last month. I use Windows 7 operating system and Intel Quad core processor and installed MS Office 2007. Prior to this I had MS Office 2003 which i used to operate on Windows XP professional edition.I have also used MS Office 97 many years back in my older system. I have ppt files of of 97 version too in my hard disk. But when I try open it in the 2007 it will not open. Can any one give solution to this issue as I need to some research and present a record of all those files.

Re: Cannot open the powerpoint files in MS Powerpoint 2007 created in older versions of MS OffIce ?

I am very sorry to tell you the MS Office version of 2007 which you recently installed a few days back will not be able to open in the older version of Office tool of 1997 year and some time not even in 2003 version as well. Because if you create any file whether it be a power point presentation file or a word or excel file, file extension which is appended with the file name after the file is saved is distinct from that of 2003 version of office. consider the example of power point file itself , once you save it in 2007 , it saves with .pptx file extension while in 2003 the extension is .ppt. So all those presentations you had created in the older version of MS office then, then those will not open in MS PowerPoint 2007. Good Luck for your presentation.

Re: Cannot open the powerpoint files in MS Powerpoint 2007 created in older versions of MS OffIce ?

I think you have no choice but to look for a older machine that has older version of MS Office tool installed. Sometimes the 2007 files gets opened in the 2003 version as well . But if the file contains animations or pictures. As you work as a data analyst, it will contain lots of graphs, charts and pictures, so there are very few chances of opening. Once you find a system with older Office version installed in it, copy ll the required files from your system and paste in that system and open it in the older version . After you have opened in the older version, please do not forget to save it in 2007 file format as well.

For users of Office 2003, Service Pack 3 (SP3) must be installed. To download SP3 for Office XP, visit the following Microsoft Web site.or users of Microsoft Office 2000, no updates have to be applied.By installing the Compatibility Pack together with Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you can open, edit, and save files by using the file formats that are new beginning with Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007. The Compatibility Pack can also be used together with the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003, Excel Viewer 2003, and PowerPoint Viewer 2003 to view files that are saved in these new formats.
    • Prerequisites

Before you install the Compatibility Pack, you must make sure that your computer has all the necessary updates. To make sure that you are ready to install, review the information for your version of Office.
    • Office 2000

No updates have to be applied.
    To verify that these updates are installed for Office XP, follow these steps, as appropriate your operating system.
    Windows Vista

• Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Uninstall a Program.
    • Locate the Office XP product in the list of applications that are installed.
    • Click Organize, click Layout, and then click Details.
    • Verify that the installed version is 10.0.6626.0 or a later version. To do this, view the information at the bottom of the Uninstall or change a program window. This version number indicates that Service Pack 3 for Office XP is installed.
    • Note You may have to maximize the window in order to see the version information. To maximize the window, position the pointer in the Title Bar, and then double-click it.
    • Click View installed updates in the list of Tasks on the left.