Thread: Link table using DSN

Link table using DSN

I have a Microsoft Access Application where I by means of Link table that is SQL Server database by mean of DSN. Is that possible to get each and every one the table’s link detail and revive the preceding link with a new DSN link. Please provide some information how can I do this? Any idea or any suggestion for this then must provide…….

Re: Link table using DSN

What occurs with linked tables if they were linked by means of File DSN, while I copy the Access file on a few extra computers with no File DSN? What is the dissimilarity between DSN on linked tables and pass-through query? Why I can modify DSN for pass through query and cannot modify it for linked table, in Properties dialog box?

DSNs are set up for every machine. If you link a table by means of a DSN, after that the link will only work so extended as a DSN with the similar name exists on the machine you are annoying to make use of the database from. A pass through query passes factual SQL to the server precisely as you write it. With linked tables, Access or JET decides how to inquiry the server. If you create an Access query of linked tables, JET will do its best to produce server side SQL to sprint it; it more often than not does a extremely superior work.

I also have the same problem and I really don’t understood that how can I adjust connection string for linked tables programmatically? For instance, let us say that I have a login form and a process that makes connection string by means of login information, so that I can make use of DSN less connection? How can I pass that connection string to linked tables each time while user logs?

I have some idea about your issue and I like to help you. Therefore I am redistribution this from memory at the present, but it is incredible close to...
    1. Acquire a reference to the tabledef from the database's Tabledefs collection
    2. Place the Connect property to the connect string you wish
    3. Call the RefreshLink technique of the tabledef object.