Thread: Solution for Outlook 2003 password issue

Solution for Outlook 2003 password issue

I have Microsoft vista operating system installed on my desktop. Few days before only I have installed Microsoft Outlook 2003 on my system. When I want to login into my Outlook account at that I entered my email-id and password. After entering email-id and password I clicked on the enter button. After some time when I want to again login into my account then outlook 2003 asks for email-id and password again. I want a solution to save the password in outlook.

Re: Solution for Outlook 2003 password issue

We can secure Microsoft outlook 2003 mailing application by providing password to it. Suppose that you have PST file with a password and while saving it you have not checked on the checkbox next to “Save this password” then it shows you a windows and ask for password every time. When you should click on the checkbox next to “Save this password” then it will save the password. You don’t have to enter the password again next time when you login.

Every time when you want to login into the outlook account it ask for the password also if the checkbox next to “save the password is checked”. This is caused by problem in registry with the Protected Storage System Provider key. You need to follow the below steps to solve this problem

Backup the registry
    • Go to Start/Run.
    • In the run window type “regedit” and then click on ok button.
    • In the left panel click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER, software, Microsoft.
    • Now right click on the Protected Storage System Provider and click on export button to export it.
    • Enter any name in the filename box and it should be unique.
    • Click on the save button and select the location to save it.

Change permission
    • Right click on the Protected Storage System Provider and select permissions.
    • Click on the username that is currently logged on. Make sure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
    • Select advanced button and click on permissions tab.
    • Highlight the currently logged user and ensure that Full Control is listed in the Permissions columns and this key and subkey should be listed in the apply to column.
    • Check on the box next to “Replace Permission Entries on all Child Objects with Entries Shown Here that Apply to Child Objects”.
    • Click on apply button. Click on yes button when asking the confirmation. Now click on ok button again to return to the registry editor.

Delete the key
    • Click on the plus sign next to Protected Storage System Provider key. Right the user subkey folder that will look similar to S-1-5-21-3723271197-429115175-1203367206-1003 and then delete it.
    • In this way you need to delete each user subkey and after deleting reboot your system.

Enter password in outlook
    • Open the outlook.
    • When you are asked for entering the password, enter the password and click on check box next to “Save Password”.
    • Now your password will be saved in outlook and you don’t have to enter it again.

I am having an outlook account for sending and receiving email and I have given it a password for security reason. After few days I forgot the password of outlook account and I want to recover it. I want to know if there is a possibility to recover the password again and also give me the steps.

You have set password for outlook account and you forget then in that case there is no method of retaining the old password. You need to create a new account. For creating a new account you need to follow the below steps
    1. Open the outlook window and create a new identity from the logon window.
    2. Enter the username and password and click on remember button to remember the password by outlook if you wish.
    3. If you want to import your mail folders then click on File/Import/Messages.
    4. Select outlook 2003 and then click on next button to proceed further. Now you need to select "Import Mail from a OE Store Directory" and then click on ok button.
    5. Click on browse button to find the new created identity. Now select the folder which you want to import and click on next button. After the importing is completed click on finish button.