Thread: Microsoft Save as PDF add-in not working, can't remove

sad Microsoft Save as PDF add-in not working, can't remove

Hi,
    I have been looking EVERYWHERE for the answer to this problem, for about 2 weeks. I just found your forum, and it looks like there are some pretty helpful posters on here, so I'm hoping someone can finally help!

I will try to summarize pretty quickly:
    My work computer crashed a few weeks ago, and had to have a new motherboard installed. In the process, we also re-installed Windows 7 (64-bit), so I had to reinstall all my programs. This is when the problem started.

The issue is with the "Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS add-in". It was apparently installed at some point when I was re-installing MS Office 2007. Or it was supposed to be.....

Here is a summary of the problem:
    I open any MS Office program, everything works fine, until I try to use the "Save as" function. As soon as I click the "Save As" button (even if I'm not trying to create a PDF, but just save file with a different name, which I probably do at least 5 times throughout my work day), a pop-up box appears that says, "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS for 2007 Microsoft Office Programs..." It continues to say this indefinitely, unless I click the "Cancel" button.

If I do click "Cancel", sometimes it will pop up the save file box, and I can actually save the document as I intended. However, sometimes it simply closes the program, losing all my work I just did! (This seems to happen most often in Excel and sometimes in Access.)

Access is the worst. Whenever I try to open any Reports in Access, it simply pops up this "Please wait while Windows configures" box over and over and over again - I can't even view or print any reports!

One would think I could just remove the add-in entirely, but this does not work. When I try to remove it from the control panel, it says "System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. You do not have sufficient access to install Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS for 2007 Microsoft Office Programs. Please contact your system administrator."

I AM the administrator on my computer!! There is no other admin account.

I have tried everything I can think of! I have looked through my computer many times trying to find the file and delete the file itself - can't find it. I tried uninstalling from command prompt. Said it was uninstalled, but it was not. I have tried re-downloading and reinstalling the add-in over again, multiple times. No help. I have run and installed all the available Microsoft updates, disabled my antivirus, etc., etc. NOTHING has worked!

I have looked everywhere online, and found a couple of people having similar issues, but could not find any answers (other than the one that said to uninstall manually through the command prompt, which I tried and it did not work).

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this darn thing??!!!?
    Rose.

Re: Microsoft Save as PDF add-in not working, can't remove

Well here in this case what I want you to do here is that just try and uninstall the add-in and then install it again but this time from the official site of the same. And mean while you have to follow the below mentioned steps :

• Click Start->Run (windows key + R key) and type appwiz.cpl->click ok.
    • Uninstall Microsoft PDF or XPS add-in.
    • Restart the system.
    • And install the add in I am sure you will not receive any problem what so ever from know.

Thanks for your reply, but that does not work. I still get the same error message as all the other times I have tried to uninstall the program:

"System administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. You do not have sufficient access to install Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS for 2007 Microsoft Office Programs. Please contact your system administrator." (Again, I am the system administrator.)

Rose.

I have a adobe reader and office 2007. It works well. If your problem continues, you could consider switching to foxit reader, which is smaller and take less memory. For the error, maybe you can shut up your word in window task to close the winword.exe. Then open it again. You may have no error of someone is using the document.

Hmmmm....I don't think Adobe is the problem.... The problem is the Microsoft add-in. The actual Adobe Reader works fine. It is the "Save as PDF" add-in that is causing the problem (please review my original question above).

Any other ideas?
    Thanks!
    Rose.

Try reinstalling the add-in and check if it works by creating another admin account. Do the following,

1. Click Start->Run (windows key + R key) and type appwiz.cpl->click ok.

2. Uninstall Microsoft PDF or XPS add-in.

3. Restart the system.

4. Reinstall the add-in from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Again....this solution does not work, because the problem is that I CANNOT UNINSTALL the add-in!