Thread: VLC not playing sound in Opensuse11.2

VLC not playing sound in Opensuse11.2

When I want to see any videos or any web page while browsing then I use VLC media player but I receive a message again and again that says VLC is not able to initialize sound card. But when I close browser then VLC it plays properly without interruptions and when I close VLC and reopen it then same message is appears. I don’t know what is the exact reason is. If anyone having information on this then replies me.

Re: VLC not playing sound in Opensuse11.2

I have gone through your questions I think you are using ALSA instead of PulseAudio. Because this problem can be occurs you use ALSA and also you have to use a better distributions for this. Or if you are having ALSA then you can updated it, to work VLC well. You should try one of the two solutions update the ALSA or use PulseAudio.

I was facing same problem as you are facing now, I advice you use the same solution as I have used. You can get sound on VLC while playing it on browser for that you have to run this command “alsaconf” and then run the “modprobe” on your system. The first command will remove your driver forcefully and second command will get the driver back to system. This solution helped me to solve my problem and I hope this will also help you.

I think you should reinstall VLC on your machine using vlc.ymp it is the VLC installer and also install the impulse audio using Yast, so that it will help you here sound while playing on browser. .Mpg and .wmv files can be able to play on VLC properly even if you are getting same problem then I think you should restart the browser.