Thread: Building Font Cache Windows Vista

Building Font Cache Windows Vista

I have the Windows Vista on the Desktop of mine and I have recently seen that there is some serious issue with the VLC that I am trying to run on the Windows Vista SP 3. Whenever I try to play any video from the Drive of mine I have seen that it takes nearly some time so that it can start playing the file. I just want to know if there is any thing that can be done so that the issue can be handled well. I have seen that a Building Font Cache pops up, before playing the file. What is this Building Font Cache? Is there anything that can be done so that I can get rid of this Building Font Cache?

Re: Building Font Cache Windows Vista

The Building Font Cache is one of the features of the VLC players and I think that you should have encountered it before it is not that it must have come for the first time in your case. Actually the Building Font Cache is the program or say small code that can help play the subtitles along with the movie when it is played. In order to integrate the subtitle and synchronize it well with the movie it needs to have some extra processing and that is where the time lags. In addition to all the things stated above I would like to know what is the version of the VLC that you are using with the Windows Vista on your system.

I even do not think that removing the VLC font cache from the VLC will be a good idea to go for. It is one of the features of the VLC and should be there at the last point itself. It (VLC font cache) not only deals with the subtitles but it also deals with the On Screen Display (OSD). Yes it is true if you want to have the subtitle to be displayed in the VLC program window then there is some time that will be wasted so that the processing can take place. Please try playing the media files that do not have the Subtitles and see if that can really speed up the things and please let me know about the same. Please let me have the report of that too. Hope that you will turn up with the things soon.

I do not see any point in having the burden of the VLC Font Cache on the VLC player. Well I have successfully got rid of the VLC FONT CACHE and I have not seen the player coming up with the issue. I have the Windows 7 for me and I think that the method that I will suggest you will help you since you have the Windows Vista and I have seen that both of them are same to some extent. Just have a look at the following procedure and see if you can get rid of the issue of the Font Cache.
    • Right–Click on the VLC.exe
    • Go to the properties of the VLC
    • I was using the Windows 7, and hence after that I clicked on the Compatibility tab
    • In compatibility tab check the box that says Run this program in compatibility mode
    • Then I tried for the Vista Service Pack 3
    • Click on the Apply button
    • Click on the OK button

After that you can see launch the VLC player of yours and can see if at all the issue is solved. In your case I would suggest you to check for the Windows Vista SP 1 if you have the SP 2 and SP 2 if at all you are yet stuck with the SP 3. Please let me know about the same soon.

I think that there is some issue with the VLC player that you are having at the moment on the system. I think that it will be nice if you can have that uninstalled and then try reinstalling the same. Or else I think that it will be really wise if you can have the VLC player from the official site and see if the latest version of the VLC can help you get out of the issue. The link for the latest version of the VLC player is here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html just make the way for the latest vlc player software and I am sure that the latest version of the player viz. 1.1.5 will take care of the issue. Please let me know if that helped you with the situation of yours so that I can have a better idea of the level of the problem.

I have seen a lot of issues with the VLC FONT CACHE and I think that it has to be taken care of at the earliest. Well I have some of the threads that have the similar topic and are discussing about the same issue. I think that it will be really better for you if you can have a look at those threads and see if you can have something really useful in your case. Here the discussion is going of the VLC Font Cache with the various other versions of the Windows viz. Vista, Windows 7 and Windows XP along with the various Service Pack. Hope that you will find the following threads useful: How to disable the FONT cache?, Building font cache never ends and "Building Font Cache" stuck at 20% at VLC.