Thread: Volume Control passed to the system by VLC

Volume Control passed to the system by VLC

I have just installed the VLC player on the system of mine. I have the Toshiba Satellite A300 and I have the Windows XP on that. I have the VLC 1.1.0 version on the laptop. I have noticed that there is a volume wheel at the front of the Laptop. I use the wheel so that I can control the VOLUME OF THE SYSTEM and now I have noticed that the VLC player that I am having on the laptop is passing the controls to the laptop so that it can have the control over that. I have seen that the VLC player is using this to control its volume. I want to have that turned off and I just want to have that. I think that this is an issue and it should be rectified at the earliest. Well I have yet not found the option for the same to disable it and will be happy if you all can help me with that.

Re: Volume Control passed to the system by VLC

As far as I am concerned I do not think that there is really anything that can be done here in the case that you have just described above. In addition to that I that you will be required to have a look at the settings in the VLC and see if you can see any option related to that. I would simply suggest you to have the reinstallation of the VLC player and see if the REINSTALLATION can really help you to get rid of the issue.

I do not think that it is a very big issue or I would say that it is an issue at all. I want to say that this is actually a feature of the VLC. It can be controlled with the Keys that are on the Keyboard and even the mouse can be used in the manner so that you can control the volume on the VLC player. I will simply suggest you not to look at it like an issue at all. When you up the mouse wheel the Volume rises and when the wheel goes down you can see that the volume decreases. Please let me know why you are treating this feature as an issue. If we are wrong please do make the post again and please explain the scenario again.

As I stated above that I have the version 1.1.0 from the VLC and I wanted you all to see for this. I have seen that there is some issue with the 1.1.0 version of the VLC and I would like to clear my point once again. Whenever I try to reduce the volume of the Movie that I am playing using the VLC Media Player I have seen that it also reduces the volume of the system and I will be really happy if you all can help me getting rectified with the same. When I mute the volume on the VLC I have seen that the mute sign appears at volume icon in the taskbar. Now I think that this is the case that you all can work with now.

I would like to bring the point here that this issue was seen in the previous versions of the VLC and hence I have seen that it yet exists in the VLC v 1.1.0 and yes this is a bug. Well in such case I think that you will be required to have the latest version of the VLC and then you can see for the issue with the latest copy of the VLC. Hope that you will be happy and will find the player without the issue also in addition to that I also want to point that it is the issue which is dominant with the NoteBook or the Laptop owners. For the desktop users I have hardly seen any issues there. Well the link for the VLC v 1.1.5 is here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html download it from here and let me know if that really helped in making the difference.

I think that I can really help you with the situation. Actually the thing is that you will have to make an extra effort so that you can overcome the issue that you are facing at the moment. Well it is really weird for the other users that the VLC player is controlling the system volume. But I do not think that it is weird here with me. I have also faced the similar issue and I think that I can help you here with this. I was able to overcome the issue and I think that you can have it solved here. Here is the code for your help:
    Code:
    bool MainInterface::winEvent ( MSG * msg, long * result )
    {
        /* ... */
        switch( msg->message )
        {
            /* ... */
            case WM_APPCOMMAND:
                cmd = GET_APPCOMMAND_LPARAM(msg->lParam);
                switch(cmd)
                {
                    /* ... */
                    // The code below is now disabled
                    case APPCOMMAND_VOLUME_DOWN:
                        THEAM->AudioDown();
                        break;
                    case APPCOMMAND_VOLUME_UP:
                        THEAM->AudioUp();
                        break;
                    case APPCOMMAND_VOLUME_MUTE:
                        THEAM->toggleMuteAudio();
                        break;
                    // The code above is now disabled
                    /* ... */
                }
                break;
        }
        return false;
    }
    save the above code as vlc-1.1.2/modules/gui/qt4/main_interface_win32.cpp. You will just have to see the step here so that you can you can use the VLC in the default manner. See the steps here:
    • Open the libqt4_plugin.dll
    • You will get libqt4_plugin.dll in the hex directory
    • Now you will be required to go to the offset 0x8A5390 and make some amendments for the following sequences of bytes. Change 70 F1 E9 68 A0 F1 E9 68 85 F1 E9 68 to the new value 82 F0 E9 68 82 F0 E9 68 82 F0 E9 68 and then save it.

I am using the VLC player now and I think that it has not come up with the issue yet. Hope that you will be able to get the same from here.