Thread: What is a VLC streaming server?

What is a VLC streaming server?

i have a dell laptop and I installed VLC media player in my laptop. There is a no any issue with my VLC media player. I heard about VLC streaming server from my friends. I am using VLC media player from last two years but i don't have an idea about VLC streaming server. What is a VLC streaming server? How to start Start the server? If anyone know about it then Please reply me as soon as possible.

Re: What is a VLC streaming server?

VLC media player which can be used as a server and as a client to stream and receive network streams. VLC is able to stream all that it can read. VLS (VideoLAN Server), which can stream MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 files, DVDs, digital satellite channels, digital terrestial television channels and live videos on the network in unicast or multicast. Most of the VLS functionality can now be found in VLC. VLC media player is able to stream, transcode and save special media streams.

VLC has a streaming media server built in.

You'd need the following for VLC streaming server :-

• Windows XP - I would suggest with lots of memory and a fast processor.
    • VLC
    • A terminal emulator
    • A whole lotta movies to stream!

Three ways you can stream media using VLC are as follows:-

1. Unicast streams to one client on the network
    2. Multicast streams to all clients on the network
    3. Video on demand

There is a some step you have to follow to start VLC streaming server are as follows:-

Open the Microsoft command prompt. Go to START> RUN. Then Type “cmd” and hit Enter on the keyboard. Then go to to the VLC installation folder. At the prompt type in cd c:\progra~1\videolan\vlc. This is a default path of VLC installation. In command prompt again type
    vlc.exe -I telnet --control telnet --telnet-password q7fmZ9s --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:5554
    where
    -I - Enables the VLC telnet interface.
    --control - Specifies the control interface.
    --telnet-password - Password to access the telnet interface for security.
    --rtsp-host - IP address and port on the streaming server on which media is to be streamed.
    - 0.0.0.0:5554 means listen on this host on port 5554.

Then Exit the command prompt by typing exit

VLC player playing most video formats and supporting conversion from one to another. Apart from that, it has a video streaming server built into it. All you require is a video file or video capture device and only some clicks to begin broadcasting your videos over network.

Setting up the server are as follows:-

*Download and install the VLC player from this site. Choose all components during installation.

* Select the Start->Program Files->Video LAN menu and click on VLC Media Player in the submenu. This will start the VLC player.

* From File menu, select Wizard and then Wizard dialog will show up. Now with 'Stream to Network' radio button checked , click on 'Next' button.

* Here you will be prompted to select an existing stream or choose a new one. We will create a new stream, so click the 'Choose' button.

* The 'Open...' dialog box shows up. Here you can select a video file which you want to stream. So browse and select a file. Click the 'OK' button. Then click the Next button.

* Right now we will select HTTP radio and enter nothing in the 'Destination' editbox. Click 'Next'. Here select a format (on windows, select ASF) and click 'Next' button again.

* You can enter '1' in the TTL box for now and click 'Finish' to complete the process.