Thread: Backup Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008

Backup Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008

I currently testing an Exchange 2007 server on a Windows platform 2008 Server. I have a concern for the database backup of Exchange 2007 on this platform because NTBACKUP is gone and the opportunities for backups proposed does not allow a backup of exchange 2007! I am looking for a reliable solution to backup Exchange 2007? I tried a trick with NTBACKUP found on the Net on Windows 2008 Server but it works properly. Any other notes would be greatly appreciable. Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Re: Backup Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008

I was having the same issue. I solved it fortunately. I am posting some steps that I did. I Followed this by copying binaries the following files from my existing server (C:\ Windows\System32\) to my current server (C:\ Program Files\NTBackup\):
    • ntbackup.exe
    • ntmsapi.dll
    • vssapi.dll

Also I have to do other things like I installed the removable storage manager that has been mentioned below from server manager:
    1. Start Server Manager
    2. Click Features
    3. Click Add Features
    4. Select Removable Storage Manager
    5. Click Install

When NTBackup starts, you will observe error concerning removable storage year, goal I just disregarded this and clicked "Do not show this again". Then I ran registry editor and changed esebcli2 key from C: \ Program Files \ Micrsoft \ Exchange Server \ Bin \ esebcli2.dll to C: \ Program Files \ NTBackup \ esebcli2.dll. And then the problem was gone..

For example, let's say you want to make a backup of just one folder On Your Computer. A folder containing not just images, documents and spreadsheets goal from a recent job you've accomplished. How would you do that in Windows Vista? Well, cannot you, not with the native Backup Status and Configuration tool, simply because It Will not allow you to select folders you want What to backup. Another outcome Might Have you IS you'd like to copy When EFS protected files, files or Even That You Are Not Need to be Vista's Backup Status and Configuration tool's list of backed-up file types. So, These Are Just A Few Reason for The Good Old HAVING Ntbackup program handy.

In order to install the Windows XP program Ntbackup On Your Windows Vista Computer You Will Need to followings files from a Windows XP computer:
    • Ntbackup.exe
    • Ntmsapi.dll
    • Vssapi.dll

These Can Be Found in the C: \ Windows \ System32 folder of Windows XP. You Could these copy help files, But You Do not Really Need Them Ntbackup.chmNtbackup.hlp. The files can be found in C: \ Windows \ Help folder of Windows XP. Copy all 3 (or 5) files to a folder in your Program Files folder Vista, for example uses C: \ Program Files and backup. Since You Will not Be In The pasting files these System Path There Is No Need To Worry About overwriting files. Next, You Will Need to turn on or Install the Removable Storage Management feature (You Will Get an error NTSMAPI.dll if Removable Storage Management is Not enabled).

To turn on Removable Storage Management in Windows Vista, the following steps would be useful :
    1. Click the Start button> Control Panel> Programs, click Turn Windows And Then Features gold is off. "If you are Prompted year for administrator password or confirmation, type the password or Provide confirmation.
    2. Select The check box next to Removable Storage Management to Turn the feature on, And Then click OK.
    3. Now, create a shortcut in your Start for Ntbackup.exe menu, calling it Something like "Original XP Ntbackup.
    4. Click On That shortcut (or Directly On The Ntbackup.exe file if you so desire), and bingo-you-can begin to backup and restore Manually ANY file you want, and you are NO LONGER LIMITED by Vista's Backup Status and Configuration tool.

To permit a Windows Server 2003 Backup Server That Does not Have Exchange 2000 or Exchange System Manager installed to Perform online backup Exchange 2000 or 2003, copy to a folder Esebcli2.dll In The System Path. You Do not Have to Modify the registry key DllPath. After the appropriate "accounts and permissions are in place, start NTBackup, And Then click Remote Store On The Tools menu to connect to an Exchange 2000 computer. (The Microsoft Exchange Information Store Service Must Be Running On The Exchange 2000 computer.) The Microsoft Exchange Server node is Not Displayed On the Backup page in NTBackup Until You connect to a remote store. When you connect to a single remote store, all Exchange 2000 computers in The Entire Active Directory forest are enumerated. Servers running previous versions of Exchange Server are Displayed in NTBackup from under the Microsoft Exchange node, however, the Exchange 2000 computer Must Be Backed Up From The Microsoft Exchange Server node. You cannot back up Exchange 2000 servers from different Active Directory forests in a single backup job. However, you-can backup databases from all versions of Exchange Server Within The Same Job, As Long As They All Belong To The Same organism. Be Aware That servers for all versions of Exchange Server are listed On the Microsoft Exchange node, Including Exchange 2000, But You Can not back up Exchange 2000 computers from this node. If you select "any Exchange 2000 computers" under the Microsoft Exchange node for backup, The backup jobs fail.