Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to decompress .TAR.XZ ?

Windows Software

Old 15-11-2010

How to decompress .TAR.XZ ?

Hello Friends,
I have downloaded the TeX Live 2009. This file has the extension as .tar.xz archive. I wanted to decompress it so I am using the tar xvzf texlive-20091107-texmf.tar.xz. But the problem is that whenever I try to decompress that with this then it always shows me some error message that was as follows:

Quote:
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
I tried many times to do that but every time I am getting the same error. Is there anyone who know that how can I decompress this file? If you know anything about this then please post that. Thank you very much.

Old 15-11-2010

Re: How to decompress .TAR.XZ ?

I think that you need software to extract that file. You can also use the xz-utils to do that. This is a data compression software that can be used for general purpose. You can search for this software on internet and I am sure that you will find it easily. Download that to your computer. This is a free software and can be downloaded easily. Install it to your system. It is very easy to use and you will be able to extract that very easily.
Old 15-11-2010

I am also agree with The!Winston. This will be the best software for you to do that. It has many components in that which will be really useful for you. I am listing the components of it that can help you to better understand this software.
  • It is a command line tool which has the similar syntax as zlib.
  • liblzma is a compression library with API similar to that of zlib.
  • It is the smallest and full featured decompressing tool.
  • It makes easy the transition from LZMA Utils to XZ Utils.
Old 15-11-2010

I would like to tell you that you will not find any support for archives in Qt. You can take a look at the KDE library. This KDE library supports the virtual file systems to do that or either you can call the tar file directly. You have to use the -C <dir> to spell out the directory that can be used to extract that. I hope that this will help you to do that.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,