Thread: Quicktime runs .MOV sluggish which runs okay on VLC

Quicktime runs .MOV sluggish which runs okay on VLC

I have recently bought a new Sony Vaio Z laptop on which I have installed Windows 7 64 bit version. On this laptop I have installed Quicktime 7.6.8 (64-bit). Now whenever I am playing the .mov files on this player then it is playing it in the slow motion (sluggish) like running with the low frame rate. I know that people would say that there could be problem with the file itself, I have tried running the same file on the VLC player which does not show any such problem. This laptop has an Intel Core i5 2.4GHz with the 4 Gb ram then why it is playing .mov videos so slow?

Re: Quicktime runs .MOV sluggish which runs okay on VLC

I think this means that the your Quicktime player is not running properly or there is some program which is not letting it run properly. Actually when you play the .MOV files on your Quicktime player and the same on the VLC player then you should notice that how much CPU resource has been occupied by both of the player. I suggest you not to check about this by running both the player at the same time. I think Quicktime player would be needing bit more resources then that of Quicktime player and hence it won't be able to run this video with ease. Check that is there any other program running on your machine which is not letting Quicktime player to acquire an enough amount of cpu resources.

I am thinking it so deeply, Simply it seems to be the setting issue on your Quicktime player which might be problem while playing this video. I would like to ask you the video which you are trying to play on this player is of some different resolution or what? Or there could be some other kind of settings enabled on your quicktime player which is forcing the video to increase its quality and hence it is affecting on the frame rate.

As per my knowledge, there is no 64 bit version of the QuickTime Player and you must be having 32 bit version of the quicktime on your windows 7 64 bit system. Now VLC player won't be having issues with the 64 bit windows 7 machine but when it comes to the Quick time then it is not supported to run properly on the 64 bit operating systems and hence your MOV files are getting sluggish. I suggest you to check running the same video on the 32 bit version of the windows 7 and then check that an issue gets solved or not.

As you guys suggested me, I first installed the Windows 7 32 bit on my laptop and then installed the same versions of the VLC and Quicktime player. here I cam to know that the VLC player which I am using from the start is also of 32 bit version. So I think this won't be solving the problem. Still I tried to running the same video on the both the player, And remember this time it was running on the 32 bit Windows 7 version. I got the same results, VLC was playing it smoothly but Quicktime have not showed even a single frame rate difference.

Here one thing comes to my mind is the format, Actually when software developers writes the code for the media player then there many possibilities in which it reads the different formats of the medial files in a different way. So may be the Quickplayer is not so good for playing the .mov files. Still I am not telling you to forget this player the please run those files with the VLC. Another thing which you can do to find out the proper core of the problem is to convert these files into Quicktime friendly format and then check that they are playing smoothly or not. I just want to say that may be quicktime would be weak in playing .mov files but the case won't be similar with some other format.

Unfortunately, some formats such as Quicktime (. Mov) or Real (. Rmx) can only be read with the reader developed by their editor that sometimes requires them to install only read one file. Quicktime Alternative is, as its name suggests, an alternative to QuickTime and you can play. Mov files with your favorite player. The player Media Player Classic (not to be confused with the Windows Media Player) is included in the package but is not essential reading, you can totally use your favorite video player. Plugins to play Quicktime movies in Internet Explorer, Mozilla or Opera are included.