Thread: Using ratpoison for multiple monitors

Using ratpoison for multiple monitors

I am at present utilizing ratpoison. I presently am upgrading my video card so by means of the intention of I might encompass two monitors. The entire is well in the fundamental installation department; my two monitors run extremely well. I did not difficulty by means of xinerama or no matter which similar to by means of the intention of, in view of the fact with the intention of it's not similar to I am going to be dragging programs connecting screens by means of ratpoison anyway. I am approximately happy. There is presently one thing: When I open a program on one monitor, I not be able to make it come into view on the additional monitor. I am not being able to shift xterm or Thunderbird in excess of to screen 2. (Unless I close a program, move in excess of to screen 2, then re-open the prog, additional than by means of the intention of would be ridiculous.) I have googled this predicament additional than I am coming up empty-handed. Anyone got several lights to get rid of it.

Re: Using ratpoison for multiple monitors

When you have in conclusion accumulated sufficient system junk, you determine to locate yourself attaching a second monitor to your system. The ratpoison has functionality to assist you get approximately your innovative and superior desktop space. The X Windowing System allocate every monitor a screen numeral. To switch to an additional screen utilize the commands subsequently screen and prevscreen or, choose to jump to a particular screen.

So I ended up departing by means of Xinerama, subsequent to getting the submission to do so by Ratpoison's most important developer on IRC. The Xinerama does not similar to share by means of OpenGL, so no additional GL. Additional than I do not imagine regarding it determine to be upset by means of the intention of I not be able to play armaggetron several supplementary. I have comprised always wondered if there was a technique to fake numerous displays, and describe how the single display was divided.

I am thinking I might be capable to add multiple displays in the xorg.conf. I am endeavoring it by means of VMware atm, and I determine to position my results moreover afterward today, or early subsequently week. In view of the fact with the intention of I encompass a multi-display setup on my most important apparatus; I simply desire a divided screen, so I might fundamentally maximize applications in one section, at the same time as maintaining them helpful. I am presently viewing this site on a 1920x1200 monitor, and it is to some extent infuriating how much text there is in a single line.

You are subsequent to nested X servers. It illustrate accurately what you are subsequent to. The capability to divide your display into virtual displays. These are treated approximating real displays, as authentic as your regular one, as if you had numerous monitors. Be able to you direct me to additional information in sequence on this. How to corporeal attach the screens. And the installation of the Xinerama or comparable software. (The innovative users endeavoring to learn here). This is intended to be a manuscript aimed at the intermediate/advanced GNU/Linux user who desires to start utilizing the Ratpoison Window manager. Merely the window manager itself determines to be covered.

The Ratpoison is tremendously lightweight and determine to therefore start up and run extremely hurriedly; it determines to in addition run well on earliest hardware as well as additional modern setups such as a 32-way SPARC. The Rodent procedure is minimized and the keyboard is encourage, relieving your arms and shoulders and declining the risk of damage Ratpoison runs well by means of multiple monitors. The Ratpoison key bindings are extremely comparable to those of GNU Screen and be supposed to be recognizable to users by means of experience utilizing Screen. To start by means of, ratpoison has a number of radically dissimilar concepts regarding utilizing a system. First, you not be able to drag windows approximately the "desktop", the entire windows are make most excellent use of to the full screen size and by means of the intention of not be able to be changed. For the reason with the intention of of this, you do not necessitate window decorations, in view of the fact with the intention of they would steal precious space. When you give the impression of being at a program, the merely thing you observe is the program. You are not forced to give the impression of being at merely one program at a time on the other hand a window be able to be subdivided into a number of adjacent (additional than not overlapping!) frames; every of these frames holds a solitary program which is take full benefit of within its frame. In Emacs terms, there is one window, split into one or supplementary frames, in which every buffer is exposed in one and only one frame.