Thread: Adding new Item to “Add New Item” Dialog in Visual Studio 2010

Adding new Item to “Add New Item” Dialog in Visual Studio 2010

Hi friends, I currently installed Visual Studio 2010 on to my system. I had the problem regarding it, that how to add new item in the “Add New Item” dialog box in VS 2010. I search it on the web about the related topics. I found that how the Iron Python Studio 2010 register the items to the system. But I was unable to find the codes for it. I was also unable to find the”Add Item” registry entries for Iron Python Visual Studio 2010. But IronPython works. Then I try to register the entries manually but the new item box does not show any kind of entry. I want to know whether how to add new items in to it.

Re: Adding new Item to “Add New Item” Dialog in Visual Studio 2010

IN Visual Studio the linked documents says how to add Visual Studio style templates, this was there in the older version of the VS. The latest recommendation also makes use of the VSformat that IP uses as well. To add the Visual template, you just have to register your type of the project using Provide Project Factory Attribute on your project package. After this you can place the template in the sub folders as Common7\IDE\(ProjectTemplates|ItemTemplates)\<ProjectType>\....if you are not able to get it then you can go to the Microsoft library.

If you are trying to add the Zip file manually, then you have to execute the equivalent of devenv.exe for your related isolated shell application to install the new templates correctly. Now you will appear new item templates same as that of the new project template. What toy want is to make sure that they are deployed Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\<projecttype> in place of Project Templates directory. After this it again require setup to be run after they are copied for the purpose of the first time.

If you want to try to add the custom items to Add New Item Dialog Box then add the items directly to the directory called “Adding Items to the Add New Item Dialog Boxes”. This directory is present in the sub directories. They are Visual Studio SDK> Visual Studio Development Environment SDK > Projects and Solutions > Projects > Project Types > Adding Project and Project Item Templates > Adding Items to the Add New Item Dialog Boxes. In this directory add the custom items.