Thread: Windows Live Gallery unable to open NEFs file

Windows Live Gallery unable to open NEFs file

I am using HP pavilion desktop with windows 7 operating system which I have upgraded from windows XP. I am also using windows live gallery for editing the images and also watching the images from the family relatives and also used it to send the images, videos and other stuffs. But recently I am facing the problem while sorting out the NEF files from the Nikon camera. It was working fine as was opening the entire files very fine until the last week but from then when I open it to read the NEF files it unable to do so. Any good suggestion for this help would be greatly appreciated. Please help me as I have to copy those images from the camera to the system which I have snapped on a summer vacation. Please help me.

Re: Windows Live Gallery unable to open NEFs file

I have a solution for the problem you are facing in reading the NEF file through the windows live. To get the desired solution you need to use the following steps on the system:
    • Just go to the start button and click on it.
    • After clicking on this button you will get a list and select default programs from the menu.
    • In this you have to associate a file type of protocol from the menu you will get after entering into the default program.
    • Select the NEFs file from the list you will get on the screen.
    • After selecting this wait for a second and see if you are getting the any message related to the windows live photo gallery. If no then click on the selected key and change the program and select the windows live and then click on OK.

I have done accordingly what you are suggested to do . I have got that there was already as”windows photo gallery” which I have changed to windows live photo gallery but not able to get the solution as the NEF files are still not opening. It just become black out and not opens. While I was able to open these files in the last week. Please suggest me another solution.

I think this will help you bt get the desired solution so try doing this and see if itr works or not:
    • Go to the start button and click on it.
    • Now after this select the default programs.
    • Now set your default programs and then click on the windows live photo gallery.
    • Is it showing you any message like” This program has all its defaults”
    • If no then click on the choose default for this program
    • After this click on the check mark on each item under the list you are getting after clicking on the windows live photo gallery.
    • Later on save all the settings you have change.

I think this is happening to you due to some virus may be effecting to the program which you have installed I the system for opening such files. So you need to run an antivirus to the whole system and see if you are getting the solution or not. If the problem still persist then I think you should to reinstall the program and try opening all the files which you want to open on the system I this will help you to get the desired solution.