Thread: Error 502 "Active FTP not allowed" in MS Forefront

Error 502 "Active FTP not allowed" in MS Forefront

I am facing some issues with the MS Forefront, so thought to ask you scholars. The scenario is connecting from inside the network to an external FTP server going through a Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway TMG 2010. In this environment, if the rule is published FTP traffic should be able to connect without incident. However, in some environments can obtain the Error 502 message that says "Active FTP not allowed", as shown below figure :

Please help me to resolve this issue.

Re: Error 502 "Active FTP not allowed" in MS Forefront

This error message is quite clear. By default, the rules of access to FTP servers are always using the passive connections, ie no traffic is allowed active connections to protect the safety of customers and that, in passive mode, data transmission is started by the client, while in ACTIVE mode, the data transfer connection is initiated by the server. Use passive FTP is not only safer, but also fits more with the architecture Firewall / NAT.

If however, some clients, like Windows ftp.exe do not support connections using passive mode, so you can get that error message. To set up connections in active mode must be enabled in the FTP filter.

However, it is recommended not to use this property unless the client does not support passive mode and no chance to replace that customer.

I want to know about the MS Forefront TMG Management Gateway. Since you guys explain in neat ways, I thought to ask my question here, instead of Google it. Please tell me the cost of it. Also I want to know that are there any version of it? Just like the MS Office.. I am very much curious to know about it, since I would be purchasing it very soon. I hope that you guys will be kind with me and show some sympathy on me.

Theat MS Forefront TMG Management Gateway is available now in 2 versions: Standard Version and Version Enterprise. The main difference between them is the ability or not to be deployed in high availability cluster architectures. The cost of licensing MS solutions Forefront TMG is based on the number of processors that will run the service. So, if you have 3 machines with 2 processors each must buy 6 licenses of MS Forefront TMG. This, of course, applies to microprocessors QuaqCore DualCore or that should be taken as 1 microprocessor. The cost of MS Forefront TMG Standard version is $ 1,499 USD per processor, ie about euro 1,058 at current exchange rates, while the price of the Enterprise version amounts to $ 5,999 USD per processor, ie about euro 4,235. For those companies needing a high volume of licensing MS Forefront TMG is a pack of 25 processors Enterprise version that costs $ 75,000 USD, or approximately Euro 52,950.

he price at which each license of MS would Forefont TMG if you buy this pack would be much lower, as it would in a Euro 2,118, or whatever it is, from more than 12 licenses is advisable to buy this pack. These prices do not include the licensing of MS Forefront Web Protection Service , this service is in addition to MS Forefront TMG provides continuous updating of malware signatures, exploits, vulnerabilities, and classification of malicious URLs. This service is licensed by annual subscription per user. So, if there are 100 users or devices, must purchase 100 licenses of MS Forefront TMG WPS priced at $ 12 USD per user or device.

The following table summarizes all prices:

These prices must be borne in mind that MS Forefront TMG runs on Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windos Server 2008 R2, and it is also necessary license for this server system when implementing MS Forefront TMG. The cost of licensing Windows Server 2008 is, by server, $ 1,029 USD, ie about Euro 726 which will be calculated at cost. Also remember that Microsoft has other types of contracts for the purchase of MS Forefront TMG solutions such as Open Value , which guarantees to upgrade to newer versions, contracts Select and Enterprise Agreement for large companies. Finally, we must bear in mind that MS Forefront TMG is a product that will be sold Appliance solutions, as is done today with the MS ISA Server 2006 version. The company nAppliance under the MASS product range sold in appliance and integrated solutions scaled for different types of businesses. Is expected soon on solutions developing MS Forefront TMG.