Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010

alternate ms-dos edit command for 64 bit windows

I want to tell you that I love the MS DOS program in any 64 bit windows computer. I have been using this program for several task such as copy, edit and delete operations and also to find the size and format of the files. We usually uses edit command for dos to edit the content in the file. I want to know that is there any alternative command instead of edit.com in windows computers. If it is there please publish in my post so that I can show it to my friends.
Old 09-11-2010

Re: alternate ms-dos edit command for 64 bit windows

Yes it is possible to use the alternate command if it is available. Other than this you just have to do the experiment in dos if you have free time. The dos accept the commands if it is available in the system directory. For example instead of using the command such as edit.textfilename.txt, type notepad textfilename.txt. Of course this command will open the text editor i.e notepad. Like this you need to try by giving different names like one as notepad.
Old 09-11-2010

Some says that the Ms dos is not available in the 64 bit windows computer. I don?t think so. The Microsoft does not going to lose its DOS program yet. I heard that the edit command is not working in the 64 bit windows computers. If it is true, then there must be a possible alternative way to use the command like edit. Yes the thing is that the 64 bit machine does include the DOS editor. You must use the notepad instead.
Old 09-11-2010

The edit.com was 16-bit DOS program. It was created originally for 16 bit MS DOS. So for this reason it will no longer work on 64bit Windows OS. The Dos editor gives better capability than the notepad. It handles some of the foreign characters which are very poor in notepad. But I don?t have any reason that why Microsoft pulled it out from the 64 bit Windows.
Old 10-11-2010

Many of the people did not find the edit command in 64 bit Windows MS DoS program. You can manually search for this command. To do this open the command prompt( as Administrator), then type cd\windows\system32 and hit the enter key. Now again type in dir edit.com and press Enter. If there is edit.com it will show on your screen. If it didn?t show up then move on to the command prompt and type sfc /scannow and press Enter key. This command will perform the system file check and displays the result.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,