Thread: How to install big program in Mac OS

How to install big program in Mac OS

I have started a new job from last month where I need a 20 by 20 designing. this program is supported only by computer. I am having Mac OS and I really do not want to change my Mac for computer. I really need help about it.In imac I have Bootcamp already installed so I just want to know if I am installing windows xp or windows vista which is required by this program will this will work on it properly? Will it help my design to work with USB key not an installation CD?I have try to find it on internet but I did not get any solution. Your suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Virtue; 04-11-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Re: How to install big program in Mac OS

Installing an application in Mac OS X:
    1. Turn on our computer
    2. Download the program that you wish to install make sure that it is downloaded on desktop because you need to drag and drop the file into destination folder.
    3.From the bottom left corner of the screen open the Finder application.
    4.Under the "Places" on the left side of window click on "Applications"
    5. Drag and drop the file you have downloaded on desktop into Applications and the program is now installed
    6.Once again drag and drop the file onto the system dock
    7.Click pogrom on system dock to open the application

Wine is a program that lets you to run windows application without windows operating system. It is completely free and legal source. Today's windows and mac are running together very well. Using bootcamp you can install windows and mac side by side and switch between them. But you will need to boot everytime and you will be able to use only one application at a time. Parallels Desktop can also be used to virtualize windows and run it along with Mac but the disadvantage is that visualization is slow and it takes up a lot of memory. But wine is different when it runs it request for resource such as memory and disk space from operating system.

Thank you for your suggestion but I just want to know whether my program will work with wine because I have only one specific windows program that I need to use and what is preventing me is switching to a different operating system. And How well windows program work under wines? what are the requirements to install wine on my Mac OS X?

Probably yes windows program will run fine.Wine program maintains a database known as AppDB which has user views how well windows application runs under wine, search for your program and found out and if it is not listed in the list then it odes not mean that it will not work with it. In order to install wine on your system you need the following:
    1) An intel mac: you can not install wine on alder PowerPC mac, this only work with intel Mac as all new mac uses intel process.
    2)Access to admin account with password
    3)Apple Xcode: you can install Xcode from your Mac OS X installation CD.
    4)X11: It is installed by default on snow leopard and if you are using tiger then install it using your Tiger installation DVD.
    5) An internet connection.

Process to install wine on your Mac OS X:
    Step 1: Install MacPorts:
    Visit to Macports site and browse to download and installation page and download appropriate DMG for your computer. Double click the file and this will run the installer.
    Step2) Configuring mac ports:
    Open terminal and copy/paste the following cod. Terminal will ask for password.
    $ echo export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:\$PATH$'\n'export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:\$MANPATH | sudo tee -a /etc/profile
    Close and reopen the terminal program.

Step3) Install wine using mac ports:
    To tell mac that you are installing wine for you, you just need to enter the below command without $:
    $ sudo port install wine-devel
    You will be ask for admin password. The terminal will start displaying a lot of information for you and do not disturb it as computer is installing wine. When the computer install displaying information then wine is installed and ready to use.

You can use the below instruction to install windows program using wine:
    To install a windows application first download the installer file make sure that it end with .exe and save it on desktop as you need to provide the location of that file. Open terminal and browse to the location where you have save the file, once you are in right directory run the application through wine by using the below command:
    $ wine $INSTALLER.exe