Thread: OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office 2007

OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office 2007

I have recently purchased Dell Inspiron e1505 15.4" widescreen notebook with the impressive new Intel Core Duo processor. Other specifications it have are 512MB DDR2 533MHz RAM in dual channel mode, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, 100GB 5400RPM Hard Drive and 8X DVD +/- dual layer recorder. But thing is that I want to have application which will help me in doing my office projects work that are related to word file, graphics file and presentations etc. I am considering having one of the two applications OpenOffice and Microsoft 2007 but I am not able to go to the conclusion which to go for in order to get I work done faster and perfectly. So for this reason I want to know if anybody using these applications please let me know the features and drawbacks of both and which I can go for to have in my system.

Re: OpenOffice vs. Microsoft 2007

To have OpenOffice in your system your system should run on operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Solaris and Linux etc. Also it is compatible with Mac OS X for OS X's local Aqua consumer interface, so you can have any of these operating systems to have OpenOffice in your system. OpenOffice is an open-source application suite with word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, and databases as their main components. It is available online and its free software which you can download and make your work happens fast as you work on projects.

Re: OpenOffice vs. Microsoft 2007

You can have Microsoft office 2007 in your system which is compatible with number of operating systems like Windows and Mac, so there is some compatibility issue regarding Microsoft office 2007 in other operating system. It provide you with
    * Microsoft Word 2007 for word files.
    * Microsoft Excel 2007 for tabular data format.
    * Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 for presentation work.
    * Microsoft Access 2007 for creating database.
    * Microsoft OneNote 2007
    * Microsoft Outlook 2007
    * Microsoft Publisher 2007
    * Microsoft Office Communicator 2007
    * Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2007
    * Microsoft Project 2007
    This all application components will help you to ease your work.
    Last edited by Solomon; 04-11-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Re: OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office 2007

I will provide you with the comparison between both of with respect to different features and compatibility on different operating system. Word dispensation, Spreadsheets, Presentations and Calendaring and Contact organization are really good in both the applications. Whereas Email Client Integration with external mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook is there in OpenOffice but Microsoft Office 2007 lacks here and Databases processing in Microsoft Office 2007 is only present in higher-priced professional editions which is there in OpenOffice with the entire editions.And when you see the compatibility and platform openoffice works on Microsoft Windows Oracle Solaris, Linux and with Macintosh OS X whereas Microsoft 2007 only works with Microsoft Windows and Macintosh OS X.
    Last edited by MrChris-; 04-11-2010 at 06:04 PM.