Thread: Network Load Balancing in windows server 2008: does it support multiple subnets

Network Load Balancing in windows server 2008: does it support multiple subnets

I am having the following issue with a Network Load Balancing cluster. I have configured a NLB-cluster RDS cluster (department) with machine Cluster-A and machine cluster-B. After doing cluster we are capable to ping from the remote site but the problem is that we are unable to make connection with RDP to IPs. If I remove the NLB-cluster on site Department RDP then it is working fine again. I also tried RDP with NLB in multicast mode but this is not working. The other thing is that both the sites are connected with jumper firewalls and a juniper policy based VPN structure. I would like to implement NLB at two different subnet. I want to know whether windows server 2008 support that and if yes then what will be the configuration to achieve this. Thank you in advance.

Re: Network Load Balancing in windows server 2008: does it support multiple subnets

You have listed that you want to implement Network Load Balancing at two different subnets. I think that you want to distribute incoming request among server at different site. And as per my knowledge this is achievable because according the needs of Network Load Balancing all hosts in the NLB cluster reside at one place. But I would Like to know in more detail about what you want to achieve if I have misunderstood you.

Re: Network Load Balancing in windows server 2008: does it support multiple subnets

Network Load Balancing provides high scalability support for Internet protocol based service such as Transmission control protocol, user datagram protocol. Each server in cluster is known as node. All windows version of windows server 2008 supports Network Load Balancing. Network Load Balancing assigns a virtual Internet protocol IP address to cluster. When a client request arrives to the server this virtual Ip is matched against real Ip and if match fails then the traffic is diverted to another server in the cluster. Nodes in Network Load Balancing do not share data but they store a local copy of data.

Below are the procedure to build a windows server 2008 Network load Balanced cluster:
    1)This can be achieved using Network load Balancing Manager. Go to start menu and select all programs, select administrative tools to launch Network load Balancing Manager.
    2) To start cluster process Right click on Network load Balancing cluster entry from left panel of manager window.
    3) Select New cluster menu option. This will open a new dialog box and enter the Ip address of first server to be included in load balanced cluster and click connect button. This will establish connection to server. If the connection is successful then it will be displayed in list.
    4) Click Next will display the cluster IP address screen.
    5) Click next to proceed to that Cluster parameters screen. Enter full name of cluster and choose Unicast as Cluster operation mode.
    6) click next to proceed to port rules screen. Use add and exit button to direct traffic to a specific cluster node.

Thank you for your valuable suggestion. I do not any idea about network load balancing. But after this thread I come to know a lot about it and I just follow the instruction given above to build a windows server 2008 Network load Balanced cluster and I have successfully built load balanced cluster with two different subnets. But If you have any idea about configuring port and client affinity then it would be helpful.

Network traffic arrives on any one ports. You can configure Network load balancing on port by port basis. There are three option for each port to control forwarding of the traffic:
    Single host: All to traffic to a particular port is forwarded to single node
    Multiple host: All to traffic to a particular port is distributed between the node
    Disabled: No filtering will performed
    Many client/ server communication takes place between a session and Windows Server 2008 Network Load Balancing solve this problem by providing a number of client affinity configuration options. There are three available client affinity settings:
    Single: All requests from a single source IP address are directed to same cluster node.
    Network: All requests that generate from same class c network range are directed to same clusier node.
    None: No client affinity.