Thread: Windows 7 and Mac OS X on usb having problem

Windows 7 and Mac OS X on usb having problem

I am a hardware technician and does go to fix the computers of any users who are facing an issue at their homes. I have a 32 GB usb stick of transcend. Now the problem is that not all the users are having windows as the OS on the system so I really get into the problem when the users have some sort of Mac os so the usb is not recognized over there. Frustated by this I decided to make 2 partitions on it and I format the first one with Mac OS X and the second with Windows 7, such that the usb stick is compatible with both the OS. But when I decided to format the drive in Disk Utility my Windows PC didn’t recognize the stick, I really don’t know what the reason behind this, please can someone help me with this

Re: Windows 7 and Mac OS X on usb having problem

Hey, first of all which file system are you using. It is best prescribed to install FAT32 as a file system as it is compatible with both windows 7 and mac osx. Install it and see if it works for you or not. I too use FAT32 for my USB stick and I am not facing any problems going back and forth between Windows and Mac OSX. Also if you can use Master Boot Record (MBR) as a partition scheme on your usb stick, then Windows 7 can format with NTFS and OSX can format with MacOS Extended on its designated partition. Also you have to be very careful because there might be a problem of ‘deteriorating’ while using MacOS Extended file system on an MBR partitioned drive/stick

First of all what is the order of the two partition that you are using, first Mac os x and then Windows or vice versa. You can also reverse the partition to see if it solves the problem for you. Also first see to it that the external disk is not having any kind of virus inherited in it. So that could also be the problem of not allowing usb to recognize on Windows computer system.

I am using Master Boot Record and it is set correctly but when I use the FAT32 file system it shows some error message such that there is a limit of filesizes. Now what this is all about. Is this a problem of Tool usb stick or any other. I am still getting the error continuously and my usb stick is not getting recognized when I put it on a Windows computer system. What can I do to get this problem solved as there numbers of users waiting for their computer to get fixed by me.