Thread: Disable win+space hotkey

Disable win+space hotkey

I have an application which has be hotkey of win+space that launches the application. But now I am so addicted to this key combination that I use this hotkey in other applications also. I am scared about this behavior and am worried about if this could affect my other applications. So at last I have decided to disable this shortcut key. Is there any way I can disable this hotkey?

Re: Disable win+space hotkey

There are several ways to disable a shortcut key in Windows but the problem is that it will disable all of your shortcuts. Are you sure you want to do so? Are you sure you no more require any shortcuts on your Windows? If you will try to hack or do some registry edit for this then it will corrupt your Windows installation. If you haven't done this then don't perform any registry fix otherwise Windows installation will get corrupted. If you have tried it but it didn't worked than there is no possibility now either to retrieve it or disable it. You must install your Windows once again.

I'll try looking through the docs, maybe I can simulate another key combination. I have not performed any registry hack but I would be interested in doing that because I have not find any solution to this problem until now. I have also tried to change the combination of keys but I am worried about it too like if I get use to it and if that has some different operation on other applications than that would cause some serious issue. I don't want that to happen to me. So I just want to disable that hotkey only and not the other one. I don't to loose keyboard shortcut features.

In such situation I would suggest you to go for some free utility that allows you to use its own keystrokes to access different Windows features. It is a free cross-platform tool that helps you to forget about your start menu, the icons on your desktop, and even your file manager; and access everything from Launchy's interface which is nothing but includes a key combination. It allows you to open all the files and programs with just a few taps of the keyboard.

Ideally, according to me, we cannot use windows key for shortcuts. However, what you say is correct and if you want to disable the Win+Space hotkey, then here is a solution. Disable Aero Peek features. To do this right click on the taskbar, and select Properties. Go to Taskbar tab and then unmark "Use Aero Peek to preview the desktop". Click on Apply to save the changes. You can also implement the basic theme. For this, right click in empty area on the desktop and select Personalize. Go to "Basic and high contrast themes" and select Windows 7 basic theme. The theme should be applied automatically. You can now try out Win+Space keys to ensure that it is disabled.