Thread: Does ssd tool give accurate stats for a hard disk

Does ssd tool give accurate stats for a hard disk

In the most recent weekend I started to get haphazard, hard lockups on my Win7 system. When I had inaugurated Windows 7 I had additional an OCZ 30 GB Agility SSD. I installed Windows on it. The merely method to set it up, as it was an upgrading commencing XP Home, was to inaugurate it on a separate drive. I installed the entire programs on the standard HD's. When the hard lockups begin, the simply method to fix things was to utilize Startup Repair, which always take several hours. It did permit me to start the system, additional than it always locked the entire in excess of again. I did a memory make sure and the entire was well. Nothing else looked odd. I checkered OCZ's forums and originate a tool (Crystal Disk Mark) suggested to read the SMART data (it seems with the intention of it's the merely tool with the intention of be able to read the Indilinix controller data appropriately). It demonstrated 24% health and the drive in danger of imminent stoppage. I checkered my favorite online retailer and originate an Intel x-25M Postville 80 GB SSD on sale. I was capable to liberate several critical data off the OCZ SSD, eliminated it and installed the Intel drive. Reinstalling Win7 was easy. It took less than an hour commencing start to finish. I am immediately reinstalling programs, additional than that is extremely well. I am pleased by means of the results. The real learning here was by means of the intention of when an SSD goes terrible, and they do go bad, I am not having lot of time to fix things. And a good backup strategy is essential. I need some help here.

Re: Does ssd tool give accurate stats for a hard disk

Might you give pleasure to position the SMART stats for the OCZ SSD. Please utilize a program similar to HD Tune (Pro preferred) or HD Sentinel. I would actually like to observe the results in information sequence to, I would say it would be highly advantageous (to the community) if you might provide such. I be able to do a post-mortem on the stats to designate what the tribulations is, assuming there is one. This is pleasant purchase on the X25-M, by the method. And yes, a backup strategy is compulsory no matter what type of hard disk you encompass (platter or flash): an SSD is not a replacement for backups. I would not be astounded if the drive is terrible as a result of shoddy/cheap flash being utilized. I actually not be able to stand OCZ products (commencing USB flash to SSD to their most recent atrocity which is HSDL). The sooner they vanish commencing the industry the superior off most of them determine to be.

I not be able to argument your experience, additional than your conclusions are suppose. First of the entire if there is several helpful SMART output commencing an SSD, the controller manufacturer has almost certainly re purposed a number of the values. This is to say by means of the intention of a lot of them are meaningless. Programs which maintain to conclude the remaining life in your SSD are absurdity. Most be able to be fooled by moreover totally filling or wiping a disk. There's actually no method for them to be familiar by means of whether a scrupulous block is going to fail; and, at several rate, the entire drives are in excess of provisioned. In conclusion, if you are getting UltraDMA CRC errors, this is frequently a terrible connection or cable. Rarely, it’s a tribulations by means of the controller at one end or an additional, additional than any drive be able to have these issues.

I would approximate to be familiar by means of where such tools get their "Health Status" information in sequence commencing and if it's correct for an SSD. My innovative SSD apparatus demonstrated 66% health out of the box. Multiple programs demonstrate by means of the intention of so it has to be impressive it's pulling commencing the apparatus. By the method, the program is Crystal Disk Info - Crystal Mark is a dissimilar utility. I determine to respond to the entire of this later today or this weekend. Optimistically what I write up determine to create sense to folks. Additional than the short version or description is with the intention of the SSD is in fact terrible/going bad (approximately positively a bad flash module), so OCZ was right by means of regards to with the intention of it. On the other hand, they flat out lied regarding the prerequisite of "Crystal Disk Mark being the merely tool which be able to read the controller data".

Commencing this I present the subsequent protocol for diagnosing an SSD going down: One indication is disk lockup and system collides. It necessitates Startup Repair to return to an operating state, additional than the tribulations hurriedly reoccurs. For this you have to back up the disk instantaneously. After that you have to run two or three disk utilities of your preference. Note several anomalies. Subsequent to with the intention of reinstate the SATA cable and rerun the diagnostics. If the results are the similar, the cable is almost certainly superior. Then you have to replace the drive. My dexterity was at 86% when I got it innovative and is tranquil at 86% 10 months later. I encompass and read somewhere by means of the intention of Crystal disk information in sequence is not accurate additional than it demonstrate the similar value as the Indilinx status tool so I am not certain, they are perceptibly reading the similar value and demonstrating it as health.

The trim runs when you eliminate a file in windows 7, its garbage compilation by means of the intention of runs when you log off for individuals drives. And the entire the health status programs for drives not be able to predict when the drive determine to fail, they basically utilize the number of read/write cycles to date to evaluate against an industry "standard". Together of your drives are extremely well, immediately create certain you maintain up by means of the ssd threads on ocz technology.com for tips on the drives. The entire in excess of again trim runs in windows 7 merely, when you eliminate a file, it writes a "0" to by means of the intention of sector of the drive. The trim, it runs during the drives idle time to do the similar thing additional than it's not as accurate as trim commands.