Thread: How can I reduce size of PST file?

How can I reduce size of PST file?

I'm irritating to 'de-clutter' my Outlook....When I went and verified the size of the .pst file at it was 14 GB. When I deleted many folders along with the sub-folders, then also the size is remaining same. The main problem for me is that I am not able to compact the .pst file to boost effectiveness. I have tried many things but nothing worked for me. So thought that some members would be ready to assist me. Also tell me how can I reduce size of PST file? What are the opportunities it now to shrink a file to PST? Please provide some notes with details.

Re: How can I reduce size of PST file?

Have you tried to remove E-mail attachments? Most of the space within a PST file should show e-mail attachments. It could be that every single e-mail attachments removed from what an enormous amount of time would mean, of course, but. As with everything, there is this third-party tools - for example the Attachments Processor or Outlook Attachment Sniffer - the existing e-mails quickly and easily edit already. Furthermore, it allows such tools, receiving mail attachments to extract already existing in and save the file system. If you continue from the e-mail out will open the attachments, the e-mail can be set to link file. With the Outlook's AutoArchive can all date-reinforced elements - e-mails, appointments, tasks, etc. - which have given an age, from the pst file is removed and a separate archive file saved in.

Only when you first use the archive function (eg file >> Archive) is created a separate Archive.pst. This file archive data are all recorded. Often, the automatic call to confirm archiving and annoying pop-up window when clicked away and then is surprised the astonished Outlook user, the data from the user's seemingly disappeared. Make sure that the phenomenon first so if you do not "data filed away" they have. To avoid annoying clicks, you can use the AutoArchive to archive the completely automated. Archived then according to the AutoArchive settings (Tools >> Options >> More). This filing applies to all storable Outlook items. This can be determined:
    • should be archived in what time interval. (AutoArchive every xxx days)
    • should be archived in what file. (Elements move to Old)
    • whether other self-created *.pst file as an archive file is to be used on a Browse.
    • whether the archived records should be deleted or moved. (Permanently delete old items)

You may want to AutoArchive not all Outlook items belong to and each element Outlook (Inbox, Tasks, Calendar) Individual AutoArchive settings define. This you can right-click on the corresponding element (eg calendar) in the register AutoArchive determine.

Furthermore, would offer the freeware program MailStore to use to one's Outlook data archive and easily access it again may be a need for. The latter is possible even without Outlook, a mail archive created with Adapters can be specific to e-mails, so that access archived items extremely quickly on, without the cumbersome file to Outlook PST to embed beforehand. Released and thus the file physically smaller file but which of the above methods you use - no matter the debate, the PST file is compressed to be created so that the space within:
    Right click on Personal Folder | Properties ... | General tab | Advanced

Microsoft outlook is a very popular program from Microsoft office and it used as Personal Information manager worldwide. It can also be used in collaboration with Microsoft exchange server and Microsoft share-point server. MS outlook stored its data in PST (personal folder file).

Over the time PST file become very large and after years of usage it becomes huge. Huge PST file start to develop many more complications despite the robust file format (PST). These complications are as follows:

1. Slow performance of MS outlook as it needs to parse huge PST file.
    2. Chances of becoming corrupt due to many reasons which can be a small disk failure or use of any malfunctioning software or virus.

Now you must have understands that there a urgent need to compress the size of MS outlook PST file as critical mails and other information is stored in it and lose of data is painful as it costs a lot of money and time. Slow performance has a very low weight-age as compare to previous issue but still it exists.

Now we come to the point as how to reduce the size of PST file. As all we know that most e-mail’s size usually has 80% data as attachments rest 20% is email content. Now we can hit this portion. There are Two methodologies by which we can compress the size of huge PST file.

1. Activate the compression scheme built in MS Outlook PST file. This is very useful in general and easy to deploy but for that one must have some knowledge of internals of PST file or MS Outlook. But this might be not as helpful as all attachments will remain inside of PST file.

2. Open MS Outlook and manually remove all your attachments from mails to a separate folder to your disk and remove them from your mails. You have to do this for all your emails and all objects of Ms Outlook where attachments can be embedded. Alternatively you can remove them compress them by using zip software and then re-attach them. After completing this process again perform the first method.

The second method is more effective and useful as it can reduce the size of your PST file up to 80% and by combining both methods you can reduce the size of PST file up to 90%. It sounds impossible but it is.

You can use this simple method to reduce the size of the PST file:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Mail.
    3. Click Data Files.
    4. Click the .pst file that you want to compress, and then click Settings.
    5. Click Compact Now.

There is another way to compress your PST file Size. Using third party tool, you can reduce your PST file size and save your PST file getting corrupted.
    SysInfoTools PST Compress and Compact tool is the efficient and best tool to compress your PST file using various efficient options.

Dear friends
    It becomes quite easy when we use a good software tool to do so. A tool which should be genuine and easy to use.
    SysInfoTools PST Compress and Compact v4.0 is the better one as I have been using it from last year. And believe me it really works like a compressor.

It can easily compress the large size PST files.
    I have used it many times and quite satisfied with it .
    If you really want something better. try it. It's awesome.
    Austin Bosisto
    Last edited by Raj; 01-03-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed

Hello Outlook user,

You know well! Microsoft Outlook Application gives spoon -feeding to store database without internet facility. But sometime it create problem due to heavy storage. Problem will exist on all outlook version (ANSI and UNICODE), but don’t worry!!! There is solution which can keep away your apprehension – Try SysTools Compress PST files, and resolve your quarries quickly also increase spaces in Outlook Mail box and manage database in sorted order. It is user- friendly, so there is no difficulties to use it.

Please share your feedback

Thank you