Thread: How to sum numbers with certain criteria in Excel

How to sum numbers with certain criteria in Excel

In a spreadsheet I have a list of different departments. In 12 other worksheets (one for each month) I have written down the number of cases reported from each department. There is one line per case and in a column it is written the number of hours spent on each case. In the first worksheet I've created the formulas that determine how many cases I have per month from each department, how many cases are treated as professional systems, etc. I would not mind finding out how many hours I have worked for each department every month. How do I sum multiple number of hours, first check if a given department name appears in another column than the one hour number is written?

Re: How to sum numbers with certain criteria in Excel

The only thing I can think of is DSUM, but this requires a bit of organization of the excel spreadsheet. If the feature works only 7 times (or was it 6?) after another. It would anyway have been a ridiculously long sentence with an if statement per line. Since I do not have the Office at home, so I have to look at it tomorrow. Is there really any easier solution than DSUM.

The organization of the worksheets should be pretty good. I've already used it is some other formulas and it worked perfectly ok. I've tried to be wise in DSUM in a couple hours and still realize that I do not see a way of how it works. I think I have done all wrong according to how it should be solved in Excel. Now this is just a suggestion from my side but how will the IF function work in this problem?

Excel and other spreadsheets are bad on the 3D-matrix calculation for to many sheets. When you have one sheet per month, you have a really good starting point for the summary per month, and a useless starting point for everything else (per company, per hour, per day, per activity,..). Excel works best when everything is under one another in list form in a single sheet. But it usually requires that you make separate presentation layer for data in and out.

So what you are saying is that it would be better to make these calculations on a monthly sheets so that everything will be "manipulated" by the Summary sheet? If you think it is best so as I go for a solution where the hours are added up at each track. What do you think about SUMIF, how should I use it? Can you help me how to use it with an example or so?

What I'm really saying is all data should be on a single sheet. But you must have months then make a summary where you are looking for per month per unit in the same cell on all sheets. Here is how to use SUMIF.

Syntax: SUMIF(range,criteria, sum range)

Description: Range - is the range of cells you want to evaluate.
    criteria - the condition that defines which cells will be added together, in the form of a number, expression, or text. Conditions, for example, expressed as 32, "32",> 32 "," apples ".
    sum rang - are the actual cells to be summarized.

and then adds the cross to end all C12 cells as follows (with month names as the sheet name)
    = SUM (Jan: Feb: C12)