Thread: Media Player Registry Ownership

Media Player Registry Ownership

Ive been streaming media from my MP11 on Vista to my xbox360. Recently I got a trojan on my PC and the sharing service has 'self destructed". I have made sure that all the required services are running however I dont have ownership of the registry subkey for media player. I have navigated to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME\

HOWEVER......there is no [security ID] subkey......what do i do?????

Re: Media Player Registry Ownership

Well you need to add or change the value in order to make the things possible for accessing the program using a third party. You can get the necessary information from Microsoft's official site related to this by clicking on the link.

To confirm ownership of the registry subkey

1.Click Start.
    2.Type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3.Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME\[security ID] subkey. The name text of the security ID folder is long, composed of alphanumeric characters broken up with dashes.
    4.Right-click the [security ID] folder, and then click Permissions.
    5.Confirm your user account is listed as an owner of this subkey on the Security tab. If your account name is not listed, click Add and add it to the list of owners. You will need to be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrator's group to perform this step.

Know more about this VISIT

Media Player Registry Ownership

Ive been streaming media from my MP11 on Vista to my xbox360. Recently I got a trojan on my PC and the sharing service has 'self destructed". I have made sure that all the required services are running however I dont have ownership of the registry subkey for media player. I have navigated to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences\HME\

HOWEVER......there is no [security ID] subkey......what do i do?????

As you said that you were perfectly sharing your computer to the xbox360 previously. Then a Trojan came to your computer and the connection has been lost. First of all you should be clearing that Trojan by using the anti virus system that you are currently using. After deleting the virus try to connect your xbox360 to your computer like you always do.

This problem may be come from Trojan viruses, First you have install any anti virus and updates of this and scan your system completely including registry file to remove Trojan virus then connect to X-box and check it.If you found any issue reply me. Thank you.

Please install any registry clean up software on your system and scan all registry file.This software can clean and repair windows media registry file from system automatically and restart your system after that it will resolved your issue.You can download registry clean up software from any freeware site.
    Last edited by Sam.D; 08-12-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Hi Calvin thx for the response....the issue I have is that there is no [security ID] subkey the registry subkey stops at ....\HME\

Any ideas?

Uninstall the software and then reinstall it. This should help you to make things to work better.

I'm having the same issue. I don't think I was infected with a Trojan but the [security id] folder is missing from the MediaPlayer folder in my registry. I was previously sharing my media to my PS3 with no problems.

I am running windows vista 64-bit.

Is there a way to restore this folder to the default? It's a long series of characters that is impossible to add manually unless you know the actual security id.

Best,
    Frank