Thread: Autodesk Inventor vs CATIA vs SolidWorks

Autodesk Inventor vs CATIA vs SolidWorks

I am using personal computer having operating system as windows 7 in the system and I have also used almost all the versions of the windows operating system. I have also very familiar to almost all the applications and the software which I am using in the system. I have the problem that among Autodesk Inventor, CATIA, SolidWorks software. I want to know that In all of these software which is more effective. What are their uses and in which they are used by the users. Anybody is there to get the information about this please suggest me. A good reply will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Autodesk Inventor vs CATIA vs SolidWorks

In perception they are together the similar. It is Mechanical design software which has different parts Part like Assembly and Drafting (2D). Solid Works is intended for the minute to average size company and is usually intended for the result and machine design industry. CATIA is mainly completed for the Automotive and Aerospace. It has a lot of specialized form that center on a precise application. They are both have by Assault systems. Solid Works begin at a 3rd of the price of CATIA and is good price for money. But, when you find into the high-end class a growing and the similar to, CATIA is the enhanced choice.

Autodesk Inventor products suggest a complete, elastic set of software for 3D mechanical propose, product imitation, tooling formation, and design communication. Inventor take you further than 3D to Digital Prototyping by allowing you to design, visualize, and simulate your products.
    • Design:-It integrates you all design data into a single digital model. This is its one of the best feature.
    • Visualize:-It generate a practical illustration of your final creation to promote it before it’s built. These will also a good feature of Autodesk.
    • Simulate:-Digitally reproduce your product's real‐world presentation. Simulation is also its great feature.

CATIA (Computer Aided Three-dimensional Interactive Application) is a multi-platform CAD/CAM/CAE commercial software suit. It is developed using C++ programming language. It has also some great features which I am describing below they are very great.
    • You can make changes in the CATIA using application programming interfaces (API). This is one of the great features of this application.
    • It has many versions like CATIA V4, CATIA V5 both are also developed in other interface like component application architecture (CAA) and component object model (COM). Also CATIA V4 supports operating systems like UNIX IBM MVS etc. CATIA v5 operates the operating systems like Microsoft windows to both 32bit and 64 bit, Also to the windows vista 64, IBM AIX, Hewlett Packard HP-UX and Sun Microsystems Solaris are run by this application.
    • It also have features like parametric solid and surface based packages which implement NURBS as the core surface representation and also posses many workbenches which gives KBE support.
    Last edited by JonathanD; 21-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.

SolidWorks 3D design software can assist you design improved products quicker. When you have a thought for an immense product, you'll have the apparatus to design it in fewer time, and at minor cost. SolidWorks Premium is product which put together a broad range of automatic CAD, design support, product information organization, design communication, and CAD productivity tools in a solo put together that's reasonable and simple to utilize. It has some good capabilities which I am describing you below through which you will find that it is really a great tool. They are as follows:
    • Mechanical cad capabilities: SolidWorks 3D design software can assist you design enhanced products quicker. When you have a thought for a huge product, you'll have the tools to design it in fewer time, and at lesser cost.
    • Design Validation Capabilities: As it has the influential design support tools in SolidWorks software, you can simply focus your designs to the similar circumstances that they’ll practice in the actual world.

i have worked with CATIA, SolidWorks and alo Autodesk Inventor. I think these softwares are equally user friend and suitable for modeling. but there are some special tools in inventor that help you to create the digital prototypes according to real world attribute such as speed, power, etc.
    design capabilities of autodesk inventor in the filed of engineering is better than solidworks
    these cababilities could be categorized as:
    1- component generators: frame generator, bearing generator, v-belt generator, synchronous belt generator, chain generator, bolted connection generator, pin generators, shaft generators, gear generators, spring generators and ...
    2- mechanical calculators: frame analysis, FEA static analysis, Dynamic simulation, beam and column calculators, plate calculators, tolerances and fits, limits and ...
    3- Engineers HandBook: this tool consists of most important engineering equatons that should be used in the design process of mechanical mechanisms.
    I think design capabilities in sheet metal creation, weldment, tubing, piping, animation and rendering, mold design in AI is more capable than SW specially in the design of standard components. Ai has more than 600000 standard parts in its content center and support more international languages. for more information you can search ''CAD'' word in wikipedia.

recently a good comparison between Inventor and SolidWorks have been done by TechniCom in 15 important cores of these softwares such as BIM, Mechatronics, date manage ment, plastic part design, assembly design, etc. in all of 15 categories Autodesk Inventor was better than SolidWorks. You can see these result using below link: