Thread: Dynamically change cell background colour in excel

Dynamically change cell background colour in excel

I am trying to make a excel money sheet to sort out my daily expenses (credits and debits). I have made up the basic sheet. I have also created a cell which will display the total. Let us call this cell as TCELL. TCELL has a formula which calculates the total of all the credit and debit. It is all working fine. I now want to add color to the cell. I do not want static or permanent single colour. I want TCELL to be green if the total is above 0 and red if the total is below 0. Can anybody tell me what to do? I am using excel 2007.
    Last edited by benjon; 20-10-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Re: Dynamically change cell background colour in excel

First of all select the TCELL. Then on the ribbon go to the “Home” tab(the first tab). Find the “Styles” section, which is to the right. Here you will find “Conditional Formatting”. Click on it. Then select “Highlight Cell Rules” and then “Greater Than”.Do it all in the specified order. On clicking “Greater than” you get a pop-up. Enter the conditional value in the text box on the left. In your case it would be 0. Select the last option, which is “Custom Format” in the list box on the right. The “Format Cells” pop-up opens. Select the red colour palette in the Fill tab. Press OK in both the pop-ups. Repeat the same procedure for the “Lesser than” option in “Conditional Formatting” --> “Highlighting Cell Rules”.

You are done. If the value of TCELL is less than 0 then its background will become red and if it is greater than 0 then its background will become green.