Thread: Move Time Machine Backup to new drive

Move Time Machine Backup to new drive

I am having one small query regarding which i need some suggestion. Actually i have create a Time Machine backup and now i wanted to move this backup file to the new drive but as i am not much familiar with the Time Machine performance so worried to do the same. If any one of you have ever tried this then please let me know about the same. A help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Move Time Machine Backup to new drive

As per my knowledge it is not that hard as you are thinking. You can easily move backup of the same to the system of yours. To perform the move of the backup file you have to just copy the backup file and paste it to the another driver where you wish to keep the backup. So try this out and see whether it is working for you or not. Also let me know so that i can find the another solution for the same. Hope this will help you.

I think that it is risky to move data with the help of the copy paste option and not recommended to use the same. If you are willing to work more with the same then i will advise you to go with the Disk Utility which will let you move the Backup file from one disk drive to another easily. I have gone through the same and let me tell you that this is working fine. All you have to do is to restore the back up to the new drive with the help of the Disk Utility. But make sure that the disk having enough storage to perform restore of the backup otherwise you will get the error with the same. So go through the same and let me know whether it is working for you or not.

If you ask me then i will advise you to go with the use of the Carbon Copy Cloner 2.3 which is also working with the problem that you are going through. The utility copy the time machine into the new drive without having any issue with the same. I am using the same utility to move the back to the new drive that is why advising you to go with the same. Use CCC to make a bootable backup of your drive. This is also helpful in case of your hard drive failure and will back up the data from the same. CCC 3 features an interface designed to make the cloning and backup procedure very intuitive. So if you can then go through the same and see whether it is working for you or not.

I am not sure about the moving of the time machine backup to the new drive but while searching for same i have come up with the one of the post which is having the detail about the Moving of the Time Machine backup. Here i am giving you the link of the post hoping that you will like to work with the same so if you can then go through the same and see whether it is working with the issue of your or not. Also if you are not finding the same working for you then i will advise you to contact Apple support regarding the same and ask about the problem you are going through that is to move backup. As they are the developer and might be having then knowledge regarding the same. So contact them and see whether you are getting the proper solution to work with the issue of yours or not. Also let us know if you are getting any working solution so that other can also take the advantage of the same.
    Move Time Machine data to Time Capsule?

As you probably know, Leopard comes with an integrated backup called Time Machine. That works pretty well although it lacks some advanced restore / search functions. You can use any one of them to make the backup of the system and also restore them to any other location.

Here is a list of backup software for Mac OS X:
    1. TimeMachine
    2. CarbonCopyCloner
    3. SuperDuper
    4. iBackup