Thread: Event ID 7023 The microsoft Antimalware Service terminated with the error

Event ID 7023 The microsoft Antimalware Service terminated with the error

Microsoft security essentials icon in the right is red when I boor up system. It is not happening every time once in a day it is green. When it is red and click on the icon it display the following message that the program service has stopped hence Microsoft security essential is not monitoring your system. You need to restart your system.When I restart the icon turn green. I have checked the Antimalware service when its icon is red, it was set to automatic.I do not using any other Anti-virus at this time and have done a lot of search on it but was unable to get it loaded 100% of the time. Currently it loads 10% of the time. I am using windows Xp service pack 3 and Microsoft security essential version 1.0.1611.0. If you have any suggestion please let me know.Thank you in advance for your valuable reply.

Re: Event ID 7023 The microsoft Antimalware Service terminated with the error

This seems to be a race condition between windows security center and Microsoft security essential as you said that windows security is loading before Microsoft security essential loads at boot time. If this is not happening always and Microsoft security essential icon turn ON after few seconds then you don’t need to worry about it.As it is working fine for most of time without any issue.

If you are not using any other anti-malware security tool at this time and has removed them completely by using removal tools such as Ccleaner or advance clean tool. After removing it completely does not solve your problem then I will suggest you to contact support to solve your issue. If you wish you can open an email support case for your query on Microsoft security essential website. And they will provide solution as soon as possible and update it on this forum if you get any fix about this problem so that it can help to others having same issue.
    Last edited by Glenny; 19-10-2010 at 07:46 PM.

I think this issue is because malware shut down the engine if anti-malware. To overcome this you can download latest Microsoft security essential to do this follow the below steps:
    1.Download the Microsoft security essential update file appropriate to your windows.
    2.Click RUN to immediately install the file or SAVE to save it on computer.
    3.To install the save file. For windows XP double click on the file and click OK. For Vista Right click on file and run as admin. Provide the password for confirmation.
    4.Click on Update to check the spyware and virus definition status.

When using Microsoft security essential if you experience application error or script previously working and now no longer works. This may be because of corrupted WMI registry. To fix it follow this steps:
    For windows XP:
    Go to start menu and select run, type cmd.exe
    For windows XP service pack 2:
    Go to start menu and select run and type rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository. This command help to detect and repair corrupted WMI
    For windows vista:
    Click on start, select all programs click Accessories and right click Command prompt and then select run as admin this will open elevated command window. Type winmgmt /salvagerepository in command prompt window. This will perform consistency check on WMI repository and rebuilds the WMI repository.

I too have this issue on my Compaq laptop and even manual updates fail. I used G-parted live and have cleared everything, re-install windows XP. Originally I had Avast installed on my system and when I notice that there is issue with Microsoft security essential so I un-install Avast using Ccleaner.But after this I found that there it has not completely removed the program so I try to remove it using standard windows uninstaller to completely remove it from system. After completely uninstalling it I do not have any issue with Microsoft security essential. Now I can successfully load and update Microsoft security essential.Hope this will help you to get rid of this issue.

The simple procedure to fix this issue is listed below:
    i)Go to start menu and select control panel. Click on performance and maintenance/Administrative tools/services
    ii)Browse and find Microsoft antimalware service
    iii)After finding the service double click on it
    iv)Select “Recovery” tab. This will display three drop down menu:First failure, Second Failure, Subsequent Failures and see that all are set to Restart the service.
    v)Click OK and reboot the computer
    I order to test it I had restarted my system several times and also created batch file to auto restart programs such as Internet explorer.I never see this problem again on my system. I hope that this will help others to fix if their Microsoft security essential is not stating properly. On my system I has set the Subsequent failure field to Take no Action which account me to manually start the service.
    Last edited by ZeDaX; 19-10-2010 at 07:57 PM.