Thread: Error code 0x8004ff01 while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

Error code 0x8004ff01 while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

I had very bad experience in installing Microsoft Security Essentials. I tried to install MSE on my Windows XP laptop and I got an installation error - 0x8004FF01. I am expecting that someone hanging out there will definitely try to help me. Also I want to know about the new and improved features in Windows Installer 4.5, since I am not aware about it. In the beginning was infected with virus Antivirus Pro 2010. Was incapable of eliminating with AVG free edition. Uninstalled tried four dissimilar antivirus programs. I know that in most cases, a message with the error code is displayed. If you have the error code, they can search the community for this or pass this along to the Support Team. The error code plays an important role for the fix. Still no luck. Used a program called Combofix from an IT Pro that said it was super powerful and not to be used any extra time. Now I am hoping some help from your side. Any other information regarding the topic would be grateful.

Re: Error code 0x8004ff01 while installing Microsoft Security Essentials

You can check to see if the Windows Installer service running properly. This service is responsible for the installation and removal of all Microsoft applications, and if damaged, can lead to preventing the installation. If this fails, try installing the "Clean Boot" mode. To manually start Windows XP with a clean boot, follow these steps:
    1. Start the System Configuration Utility
      1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
      2. The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
    2. Configure selective startup options
      1. The System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab in, and then click Selective Startup.
      2. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI file check box.
      3. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
      4. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
      5. Click the Services tab.
    3. Log on to Windows
      1. If you are prompted, log on to Windows.
      2. When you receive the following message, click to select the Do not show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start check box, and then click OK.
    4. Optional step to disable features
      1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
      2. The System Configuration Utility dialog box is displayed.
      3. Click the General tab, click to clear the Load System Services check box, and then click OK.
      4. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

The last article, however, refers to the following error message:
    Error 1603: Fatal error during installation
    However, I have the above error with error code 0x8007064A. Two XP computers can not install the Security Essentials killed croak. Installation fails after successful validation and clicking the button immediately with this error message. I've tried all the tips from the article at the top to no avail, I have no laptop. Per Google there are many others who have this problem too. A log file is at me not even created. I even tried a tip where you used to successfully install a different PC, but that does not work. The two XP computers do otherwise no problems, everything else can be installed far more, with updates .Net 1.1 there was ever trouble. Perhaps MS could deal with the problem once and modify the product so that it can be installed on all computers and spends at least a more helpful error message.

I initially had the error on a PC too - with Windows XP the installation appears to work only if the service is installed Pack 3. Unfortunately, that exists nowhere in the system, so I initially had doubts about me after I've tried countless times, I noticed that was missing on the PC with the error that Service Pack 3 -. Then installed SP3. Then the installation worked fine. If this doesn't work for you then you should try installing the "Clean Boot" mode. I think that this is last good option for you.

To resolve the error 0x8004FF01 follow these steps:
    1. Update 'Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable'.
    2. Ensure that the Windows Installer service is set to automatic and started [to "Start-> Accessories-> open the DOS prompt, or go to 'run' and type services.msc * without * asterisks, to 'submit'].
    3. Check, the item about in the window that opens, if it is enabled automatically in "Windows Installer", if not click on and start the service.
    4. Final check: Open a DOS prompt or Run and give the command:
      msiexec / regserver
    For checking if it's installed version 4.5. Now it should no longer give the error. If [impossible] that the error should reappear then try to reinstall Microsoft Security Essentials.

Also I want to know about the new and improved features in Windows Installer 4.5, since I am not aware about it.
    • Multiple package transaction
      In a multiple package transaction, you can create a single transaction from multiple packages. In a multiple package transaction, a chain is used to dynamically include packages in the transaction. If one or more of the packages Do Not install as expected, you can roll back the installation.
    • Embedded UI handler
      You can embed a custom user interface (UI) handler in the Windows Installer package. This makes a custom UI easier to integrate. You can then invoke to embedded UI handler from the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. Or, you can invoke to embedded UI handler during a Windows Installer repair process.