Thread: How to make a bootable self installing backup image

How to make a bootable self installing backup image

I am looking for some better alternative that can help me to create bootable backup image. What I want to do here is that I want to create a locked partition in my system which must have a bootable image file of my operating system. So that in case if my system crashes I can boot my system and then install by system back. I know that there are several tools for that but which is the most recommended one. And also how to create backup from that. I was using a old dos type tool which only works on floppy disc. It generate a boot up disc and then you can choose the image to restore. That is not recommended for the newer models of system. A hard drive image backup is very fast in comparison to other ways. Like booting from a cd and then creating a disk image file. I had my self tested in my friends laptop who has a hp recovery console and the system gets ready in few minutes after crashing and running the recovery.

Re: How to make a bootable self installing backup image

The most appropriate alternative for that is using a Norton Ghost file. You can create a dedicated partition for that. But it only works on FAT drives. To create an image, choose the partition and not directories. Place that in some specific location and then run it. Install a older version of Norton ghost. A virus or a Trojan or a spyware can hurt the system and you windows can crash. At that time the recovery disc helps you to recover your system back in normal process. However, Windows XP requires completely reinstall if there is a change of motherboard. So that is the limitation of this tool which will not work if you had changed the hardware of your system. t is impossible to create a system image in its own disk during any operation like scan disc or defragmentation. The tool is very easy to use and the image file is created in just some time. You have to give a dedicated drive for that for better working of y our system. Do not forget to create a boot disk.

If my system crash I use system restore first. However, after a system restore, it is also possible to restore personal data, if a backup exists. So it is recommend to relocate another partition for better backup. The advantage to relocate files and directories very often changed is that the fragmentation of the system partition is smaller and smaller image of the system. You have create a image of the system and when you run this file you get all your software's and packages in that. So you does need to put anything. Logically, you want to update the system image. But for that you will need to make a new image or from the existing image file. I keep a very basic track of my image file which has my Windows and office in that. And the most I keep in my antivirus with the latest updates. So when the system works slow or crashes then I just need to right click on the ghost icon and then run the restore. The system reboots and everything works.

The main issue with a image file is that to change a system image, it is required to start from scratch. That means if you have some recent updates then you will again need to create a new file. However, some programs are good at cloning. Cloning involves copy of only new or changed files. But this support is not provided in all types of software. For this you can choose the option of incremental backup if the same is provided by the software. It work fast and updates only those file which are changed. But the negative point of this backup is that if the system has viruses, Trojans, worms, spyware, etc the that will also be updated in the image file and on restore your system will be of no use. This is the only issue of such backup. But it is possible to plan the creation like Maintenance of incremental image. But I will recommend to keep a constant track on the health of your system. Check that your firewall properly is adjusted or updated.

I have some recommend tools for you which can help you to create image backup. Most of them are automated software's which work well. Like PolderBackup. This is a free tool and nice to use also. It is a backup tool easy to use with a good selection of devices that will meet most basic backup needs. The other one is famous Ghost software which is widely used and stable also. The other famous tool for the same purpose is Acronis True Image. This is also one of the widely used software. The other are Avanquest Perfect Image, Farstone Drive Clone Pro and Paragon Backup & Recovery. The only first one is free and others are commercial products. You can choose a trial of any version and use the same in your system just to check the features of the product. Mostly I found people using Ghost 2003. This is the most basic and nice tool. But it is recommended that you must not halt the process of Restoration in between. That can crash your windows.

A system image or you can say a image file is the entire pattern of operating system which is installed in your computer. This file is used then to restore your computer in case of fatal crash. For installing the same you will need to set the different configuration of your system and you have to also realize the base of the image file. You have to restore the entire operating system with one click. You have to necessarily install the drivers and then you have to configure each of the windows machine. The operation is quite fast and I will recommend you to run the chkdsk for the same. This I will recommend you to run ever week. mpty the Recycle Bin, delete temporary files and temporary Internet files. This will facilitate the next task. A other task which can help you to make your system better is defragmentation. All files are saved one after the other on the hard drive. To avoid losing too much space, the file is cut into small pieces and stored in small fractions of the disk are clusters. This files are then re-arranged by the defragmentation tool. The file access time after running defragmentation reduced to great extent.

During the creation of the image, it is imperative to let the machine work properly. This is mainly done when you install windows for the first time. Some software can directly burn the image. You can also choose options to split the image to fit on a CD or DVD and store it on disk. You burn it later with your usual software. This will avoid the CD corruption issue. Burn with the dedicated software to check the status of burning a CD. You may need to create the image system using a floppy or a bootable CD. Because you can boot the system but want to reserve the ability to recover data later. When you burn a corrupt image file or a old one which have some missing system files then you might face the same issue for your future also. I will recommend you to do after a fresh installation of Windows. At this time the system works much better and does not give any major system issue. Or else you can keep the process safe for future.

In a image file the entire disk or partition is stored with all files and updates. Contrary to traditional data backup, where only documents are saved, everything is archived, programs, system, data, documents, registry, etc. There deyx ways to proceed in RAW mode which reads absolutely every sector of the disk or partition, the backup is 40 GB if the saved partition is 40 GB Classic mode saves only the portions occupied by files on the disk or partition and backing up a partition of 40 GB. All you need is another partition to save the image because it is impossible to create a system image in the partition in the process of be read. The software will then freeze a moment windows to access the hard drive without anything being written and read all the sectors of a partition, and copy them elsewhere.

Here are some tips which can help you to speed up cloning process. For that you can do a scandisk or chkdsk before, to save time or even a small defragmentation. Remember to clean the temp folder. During the image creation system, touch nothing, wait until the software has completed the process. In my system I am using Drive Image XML. Why I choose this software is because this software is free for personal use and simple to use. Drive Image XML is compatible with Windows XP and the same even work on Windows server., In theory it should work under Vista but I am not sure about that. The software does not recognize RAID arrays you can take a picture in some cases but not restore it if the disk is treated as RAID.

I am too using DriveImage XML. This is a nice tool for creating images of a hard disk or partition. The other recommended tool is CloneZilla. It is a free utility that allows you to clone one or more partitions or even the entire hard drive of your PC to the same old condition. The advantage of this method is to allow, at a total crash of your machine or failure of your hard drive, put them back on their feet very quickly. Your system will then be entirely new set and your programs already installed. Do not store the image on the disk affected by the backup, because if you crash it, it will be of no use. Therefore prefer an external medium such as a USB key, hard drive, or DVD. I recommend to use DVD here. If you change the source to hard disk then you must have a partition of size at least equal to that cloned or, if you cloned your entire hard disk, hard disk size at least equal to that cloned. If there is less space then the process will not get completed.