Thread: Boot.ini default load options

Boot.ini default load options

I usually love to play with the Windows. I really have fun but to the extent where they do not cause trouble. Now I have two HALs (hardware abstraction layer), one for the uniprocessor and the other for the multiprocessor. In order to choose between the two processor HALs I make use of the boot.ini using the / hal and the / kernel switches. I have the uniprocessor hal and the kernel hal named unihal.dll and the unikernel.exe respectively. To make the choice I use the /hal=unihal.dll and /kernel=unikrnl.exe load options to make the desired choice. Now the problem that I am facing is that when I go for accessing the PC remotely then I make use of the GoToMyPC.com, I want to know the way of changing the default load options. I am unable to find the solution for this and if there is a way I will be really grateful to you. In addition to all these I have a hyper threading Pentium 4 processor, and there is some problem with the software because of which they refuse to work well on the multiprocessor hal. I think that this could help you in fetching the solution so I posted that too.

Re: Boot.ini default load options

Well, Farahan, it was really nice to see you once again in this section. It was happy to see the post from your side. The problem is that I think you have specified the problem very nicely but you have not framed the question well. From your post I can make out that you want to know the way of changing the default load options, and if I am correct then you can do this simply by using the /default switch that is present in the boot.ini. Well you can try this and tell me if that was the thing that you were looking for. Well if that is not the case then please take the trouble of re-framing your post. Also post what happens when you try my solution. I just want to know that too. It might happen that the solution may turn in your way.

First of all thanks I was trying to explain the problem and in that I got myself confused. I am really sorry for that. Well what you have suggested Eric B is what the thing I actually need and I want to tell you that you have got the problem of mine. The suggestion that you gave me was the first thing I did to get the things for me. But the issue is that it only makes sure that the path is set. And I think that when I am saying this then I am correct too. The thing that disturbs everything here is the two processor hals. Since both alternatives have the identical path with diverse load options. I want to know which one XP will prefer if it has to make use of the default. I think that this time I have made my point clear and I will get the solution.

No I do not think that the list has something to do in this matter. Even the placements are not going to do any special thing here. Actually the default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS is the one that determines what is getting loaded. Well that was just the part of the clarification, in your case if you want you can produce BOOT_1.INI and BOOT_2.INI. Each will be having separate default values. After all these troubles then you will be required to make use of a BAT file in order substitute BOOT.INI whenever there is a need to reboot remotely. Copy the suitable INI file in place of BOOT.INI. I am sure that this will really help you with what you were actually looking for. Good Luck with the try.

Well I am also trying to find out something like that. Not to that level I guess. I was reading for the problem and found that what you were saying was correct. If I will get the chance then I will for sure try this. Now the case is that I have seen that the both the menu cases are pointing to the same directory and the only thing in which they differ is the load option. So in this case I just wanted to know if Farhan can incorporate load options in the default= line. Well this only a wild guess. Also in addition to all these I would be happy to know something more about the HAL something really descriptive. you all guys are really well in giving the answers and therefore I will be really happy to hear the words form you.

Thanks a lot for all the words of praise for all of us her. The thing is that till where my knowledge of the things goes I do not think that there is a way by which you can include the load options in the Default= line. Also I think that I am contradicting all the opinions of the members here, I think if the first of the two choices are identical then it will not have the way to differentiate between the two. Regarding the HAL, then it is an acronym for Hardware Abstraction Layer. It is a software project that provides a hardware abstraction layer for Unix-like systems. It is designed in such a way that it will allow desktop applications to find and make use of things from the host system using a simple, portable and abstract API.

I think that the boot.ini file must have been corrupted and I think that there is a need to rebuild the Boot.ini file. Just follow the steps below and I am sure that the problem will be solved:
    • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive and restart the computer.
    • When the message "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press any key to boot the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    • When the "Welcome" message appears, just press R KEY so that the Recovery Console can be started.
    • When prompted, type the password of the administrator, and then press ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, you will have to type bootcfg / list and after that you will have to press ENTER. After doing that the entries in your present Boot.ini file will be listed on the screen
    • At the command prompt, type bootcfg / rebuild then press ENTER.
    • Let the system repair the boot.ini file. Fill the required information that it will ask to give.
    • After that type exit and after that press the ENTER key so that you can quit the Recovery Console.
    • Then the system will restart and the boot list will appear asking you to select the operating system to start.

As there was no response from your side then I think that you will have to modify the boot.ini file. I will for sure assist you in doing that. But before doing that please have the backup of the entire previous Boot.ini file, and for that you will have to just see the steps below:
    1. Click the right mouse button on Start
    2. After that click on the Explore.
    3. In the left pane see for the % systemroot% drive and then click on that, also in addition to that you will have to look for the Boot.ini file in the right pane.
    4. Just click on the Copy.
    5. After that in the left pane open a temporary folder then right-click in the right pane, and to create a copy of the Boot.ini file in that folder click on Paste.

Now the steps come for editing the Boot.ini file:
    1. First of all click Start
    2. Then point to Programs then Accessories
    3. In the Accessories click on the Notepad.
    4. In the Notepad, Click Open menu File.
    5. In the area Search, Click the% systemroot% drive, the Boot.ini file, click Open.