Thread: Auto restart after power outage

Auto restart after power outage

I am pretty confident of what I am asking and I am sure that this thing exists. I only want to get confirmed. I have an XP workstation running and that workstation has some server software on it. Now the thing is that in my area there is some work going on and I have Power cut daily and that is too not at regular intervals but randomly. I have lot of problem with this thing. I just wanted to know if there is way by which I can make this thing to restart as soon as the power turns up. Is there anyone who can tell me something in relation to this? I will be really grateful to any one who suggests me the solution. I am sure that this is possible but the thing is that I am not able to find the way how it is done. Is there anyone who can suggest me anything in this respect? I have tried some things that I found during the googling but all the things failed to turn up. Please tell me something I am waiting for the solutions to flood here. I just want to know the way by which I can set the Power to automatically restart after a power outage.

Re: Auto restart after power outage

Well I doubt about what you are telling but the thing is that even I have seen some of this type of things and the suggestions and the solutions that I have found I think can be tried all by yourself. I think what you really need to do is at the very first step check the BIOS of the PC, check it and see if that has the option somewhat like to resume the power failure. I am sure that if that has the option then you will definitely find the way to tackle the problem that you are facing at the very moment. But if you do not find that then I do not think that you can do this on your system. Well the logic behind this is that if the power is lost by the PC once than the Windows XP will not be running and in order to restart the PC you will have to configure the BIOS so that the PC can be restarted. See and tell us what happened and do post if you succeed in achieving what you desired for.

I think that if you want to get it done on your system then you need to be lucky at the very same time. I totally agree what EricB said above. Actually this is not a feature of Windows. It completely depends on the BIOS configuration. If you are that lucky or say enough lucky then you will have this feature for you and this can be done simply by grounding the pin 14 of the ATX power supply. You will have to just follow the steps blow and I am sure that this will help you a bit.
    • Search for the wire that is connected to the pin 14 usually it is always green.
    • Once you find the wire then cut a few inches from the motherboard’s power connector.
    • Now the very important step that needs utmost care, strip off the isolation from the black wires that is going adjacently to pins 13 and 15 to 17 and see that it is done without breaking the wire.
    • Now hook up the power supply end of the green wire to it.
    • Leave the end of the green wire open that is connected to the motherboard.

I am in total agreement to what ever is said above and I think that these suggestions will really help you. If you ask me I think that you should instead look for a better UPS. I am sure that the things will change if you have the new and a better UPS. I am suggesting you this because the way you have posted seems like that you are doing something really important, and in that case a bigger UPS will keep the things up if there is a power outage. I hope that I have added something that can help you in solving the problem. Well best of luck with the above suggestions.

In my opinion I think that the things are pretty in your way and I think that all the things can really help you. However you do not find all that things as useful as they should be then you can go in the forums and find some of the threads that are somewhat similar to your problem. Well I have found some threads and I think that those threads can help you. Just have a look at those. XP will not start in normal mode after power outage and Notification when a power outage

I was thinking of making a new thread but I do not think that there was anything that I can post about this router and the thing that I wanted to ask about was the Auto Restart so I thought I can post it here. Before committing to buy the Netgear WNR3500, I wonder if it will restart automatically after a power outage or if it must be restarted manually? I am asking this because my router is going to be installed in a location difficult to reach. If it does not start automatically, is there any kind of firmwares available that can allow this feature to work? Please help me this time I am completely blank about this thing. I tried searching on the Internet but could not find anything describing this thing.

Well it would have been best if you would have posted the new thread. I went to search for the thing that you were talking about and as far as I came to know about this was that there is no such feature available with the Netgear WNR3500 router. I think that you will have to take the steps manually to restart the router if there is a power outage. Well if you want to get some more information on this router then I think you can make a new post regarding this in the Portable section. Also if you wish you can have a look at the following thread: Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless Router. I hope that this thread can clarify for some of the specifications of the ROUTER. Please try changing the place of the router if at all possible.

You had asked about the firmware and I think that the firmware that I have can help you. Before that let me tell you that last night I had a power outage and then after say 15 minutes of the cut the power returned but from this I want to covey that I did not had to manually restart the router, it was restarted automatically. so I think that the problem that you were asking for is here. When you get the router see that if it automatically restarts and if not than you can try the firmware that I have. The firmware that I have is here 13309 of DD-WRT firmware. Hope that you will get what you want. Well i am not pretty sure for that but i think that is what you had asked for. Please try this on your own risk.

Well I do not think that the firmware can really fix this kind of issues. I had the Linksys WAG54GX2, and the same was the problem that has been discussing here. I thought that the firmware can be changed to make this thing work and for that I contacted the Linksys Tech Support and they even replied me that it is virtually not possible and this can not be done with any other router by that date. So I am of the strong opinion that firmware can not help you.

Rupashri if at all you want to have the router that can restart automatically after the power comes back then it will wise to have some other router. Why do you want to have the Netgear WNR3500 router only to do this? I think that if you had already purchased this thing and then you wanted to work in that way then it did make sense but you have clearly mentioned that you are thinking of having that. I think that it will be nice if you can have some other router, for you. I am pretty sure that you have got the point. Please opt for some other router.