Thread: Difference between Remove and Quarantine in microsoft security

Difference between Remove and Quarantine in microsoft security

I am new user of microsoft outlook. And I have hotmail account and I always keep on scanning my mails and after scanning my security tool shows that the virus is Quarantine and sometime display that virus is removed. Can any one explain me what is the difference between remove and Quarantine in microsoft security essentials. Can any one provide me with the detail information about it? I do not have too much technical knowledge. Thank you in advance, your effort will be appreciated. Please reply as soon as possible.

Re: Difference between Remove and Quarantine in microsoft security

It is two simple terms used by Antivirus tool softwares I will try to explain it in simple term as you said that you do not have too much technical knowledge.

1] If your microsoft security essentials says that the virus is Quarantined then it means that microsoft security tool moves the infected files to another location ans stop it from running.
    2} If your microsoft security essentials says that the virus is Removed then it means that microsoft security delete the file connected to that spyware or virus.
    Hope this information will help you to understand the basics difference between them. If you still have any doubt then inform me I will let you know in detail.

Even I am having some doubt between Quarantine and Remove in microsoft security essential. Thank you for explain it in such a simple term. But Know I am confused that if the virus or spyware infected file are Quarantined i.e., moved from from one file location to another then they will not effect the system from that location. How Can I remove Quarantined files? Do I need to remove them or it will have no effect on system performance?

As per my Knowledge you do not need to remove that files which are Quarantined. But I think you can select the details from the history tab for the threat and from there you may have option to remove or restore the Quarantined file and and from there you can select the action you want to take.And sometime it was removed by Microsoft essential automatically.

I have same problem when I see my History tab there is no option to remove the Quarantined files. In the History tab it display the following message:
    2Trojan items among which one show ignore and status=Succeeded
    3unknown items and show permit and status=succeeded
    Quarantine succeeded about 10 min
    As you said if I go to tool menu the remove option will be listed but in my case nothing is listed. Can you tell me how can I be sure that those threat are removed? I am running Mcafee and windows security essential and not sure whether these Anti-viruses will remove them or not?

I cant say that whether you are using Microsoft security essential. But as you mentioned in your post that you are running windows oneCare as well as Mcafee . I will recommend you not to use Macfee or Microsoft defender if you are using Windows live oneCare. If you are scanning your system with windows oneCare then you should not run any other scan at same time. As windows Live oneCare run on demand when you connect to Internet so there is no issue with macfee or there is no conflict between them. But running both at same time will have problem. If you need any help about Microsoft defender you can visit to Microsoft site for more information.

You can go to these location to delete the quarantined files:
    For Windows Vista and windows 7
    Go to this location for quarantined file ProgramData->Microsoft->Microsoft Antimalware->Quarantine
    For windows XP:
    Go to this location Documents and Settings->%UserID%->Local Settings->Application Data->Microsoft->Microsoft Anti malware->Quarantine

I wanted to find Microsoft security essential deleted quarantined files. I try using the above location for windows Vista but I did not find Quarantined file under Microsoft security essentials. I want to submit teh two files which are Quarantined by MSE but there is no luck to find it in order to submit to MSE. Two files which are is questioned are:
    1]Trojan Win32/Orsam!rts
    2]VirTool Win32/Obfuscator.XZ
    When I get the File to submit section and try to browse the location of Quarantined files, I am unable to find the files Quarantined by Microsoft security essential.