Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing

Windows Software

Old 17-10-2010

Exclamation Error Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing

I've searched the forums and google like crazy, I tried basically everything and nothing has worked, hopefully someone can help me out. I'm using my brothers computer because I can't go onto the internet on mine. My Windows firewall was down but I was able to download ZoneAlarm which someone suggested for the time being.

Windows XP V 5.1 SP3

I removed Antimalware Doctor virus and afterward my firewall and internet was disabled.

Scans used: Malwarebytes,AVG, but it was SUPERAntiSpyware that finally removed it. After it was removed I ran Malwarebytes again.

Processes already tried:
-netsh winsock reset
-http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

Errors:
-Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.
-Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.
-Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service.

*Note: I do not have the windows cd.

Please help.

Old 22-10-2010

Re: Error Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing

Follow the below suggestions:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following command line, and then press ENTER:
    Rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf
  3. Restart Windows,
  4. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
  5. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    Netsh firewall reset
  6. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then press ENTER. In the Windows Firewall dialog box, click On (recommended), and then click OK.

More information here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074
Old 23-10-2010

Re: Error Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing

Thanks for your reply.

I typed in the rundll and it didn't prompt me to restart..the C:\ popped up again but there was a quick flash on my screen so I restarted. I proceeded to follow directions and typed in the netsh in the cmd.exe and got this..

WARNING: Could not obtain host information from the machine: [My name]. Some commands may not be available. Server execution failed. Ok.

The second suggestion used for sharedreg.. The filed was added to the registry so that worked but after I restarted and typed in Netsh firewall reset, I got this..

The following helper DLL cannot be loaded. IFMON.DLL.
WARNING: Could not obtain host information from machine: [My Name]. Some commands may not be available.
A dynamic link library <DLL> initialization routine failed. Ok.

Any ideas?

Last edited by exbooks : 23-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , , ,