Thread: Windows 7 marked all the data as protected

Windows 7 marked all the data as protected

I have a dell laptop which i am using for the past 9 months. Few days back i brought my friends pendrive that had some movies which i wanted to copy. All of a sudden i forgot to scan the pendrive and directly copied the movie from the pendrive. Since then whenever i click onto any folder or try to delete it, it gives me a message as "data is protected". After that i even scanned my laptop and removed all the virus but its still me the message that the data is protected by your os. Can somebody help me out to fix this problem. I am using windows7.
    Last edited by leshaspar; 23-10-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Windows 7 marked all the data as protected

Hello seems you have really messed up with your laptop, you should always be careful while taking data from external drives as they are always affected by virus. Regarding the problem i would suggest you to try and cut the files from the folder which are been marked protected by your system, and then paste the files into the new folder. Now try to open that folder and see if it works for you now you can delete the older folder and rename the new one accordingly.

Re: Windows 7 marked all the data as protected

Thank you for the reply but i have mentioned in the post that i am not able to move or delete the files that are marked as protected by my OS. I am going through this problem first time so i dont know whether its a OS problem or computer problem. Can anybody suggest me with some better idea of how can i again get my files, folders and all the data back to normal. I want to get this problem fixed as quickly as i can.

Hello even i was facing the same problem when some virus entered my system and all the data was marked as protected by the os. However this is what i tried out and it worked for me. You must go to start menu, select run, type cmd in the dialog box. This will lead you to a black screen. In that first you have to set the path as "C:\Windows\System32". Then suppose if you want to open a single file then type the command attrib -h -r -s {file name}.
    For opening all the data type this attrib -h -r -s ./*.*/s . This should work for you, it certainly worked for me.

Hello, i think this will help you. First of all, you must right click on the folder which is marked as protected by your os. Then click on properties and the go to the securities tab. Below there you will see one window with permissions for administration as a caption on it. Inside it there will be various option with checkboxes, see that the option write is not checked. If it is checked then uncheck it and press OK. Now try opening the folder and see if it works. You can do this to every folder.