Thread: Edit attachments in office 2010 without saving to hard drive

Edit attachments in office 2010 without saving to hard drive

I am using an outlook 2010 on my Windows Vista system which was previously 2003. I was able to edit attachments in outlook 2003 without saving the same in the hard drive but it is not possible to do in Outlook 2010. When you open an attachment then i am getting an option to edit after the following message.
    "Protected View This file originated as an e-mail attachment and might be unsafe. Click for more details". You can edit the file after clicking on an Edit. While saving the file, I got the message as "something.xlxs file is read-only. To save a copy, click OK, then give the workbook a new name in the Save As dialog box."

Re: Edit attachments in office 2010 without saving to hard drive

I guess you must be going wrong somewhere because of which you are not able to edit the file after opening it. You open a folder you will in Folder Options -> tab file type you choose wmv (p.exe) and in the "File Type" you click on edit and you choose a program with which files wmv will always open.
    WARNING: do not get word to open a wmv file!
    wmv files open with windows media player.

Click on the “file” and then “Options”. From here you have to customize ribbon and then click on the “New Group”. Once you have named the custom ribbon then click on the “'choose commands from”. Here you have to choose for “'commands not in ribbon”. If you want to edit the same message then you have to scroll down and click on an “Edit Message” -> Add -> Ok.

If you wish to edit an attachment or the email itself then you have to open an email and then you have to go to the custom ribbon made for that email where you would be having an option for editing it. You have to click on this before you open an attachment. After editing an attachment/email etc, You would be asked to save it and then Close it.

Use personalization to customize the Ribbon, which is part of the Microsoft Office Fluent user interface to suit your needs. For example, you can create custom tabs and groups comprising the commands you use frequently. Although you can add commands to custom groups, you can not change the default tabs and groups built into Microsoft Office 2010. Orders for the default groups are unavailable or grayed out and can not be changed. In the Customize list the tape, the word (Custom) is the name of the tabs and custom groups, but does not appear in the ribbon.

I think you are making some mistake while saving the file as it would be saving the file as a read only when you create any file and when you try to make any changes in the same file then it won't be allowing you. For dealing with this issue you have to copy the content of the that file to the new and then save it again. Actually you have get rid of this issue by changing the settings. You should check while saving your document as a what type of file you are saving and make sure that it is not read only. You have to check about the same from the File Explorer as well from the properties of the file in the directory where you have saved this file.