Thread: How to set up an IMAP account in Outlook?

How to set up an IMAP account in Outlook?

I am not able to set up an IMAP account in Outlook Along with it I am having many queries about the IMAP account, so I thought that posting here would be helpful for me instead of searching on Internet. Can someone over there can explain me that can I IMAP account with the existing personal folders to manage mine? I think that it is not possible. Because IMAP requires a completely different technical approach, these remain the two account types in Outlook strictly separated. A merger of these two folders is not possible. But then I am not sure about it. So I am expecting that you people will explain me all about this. But my main question is how to set up an IMAP account in Outlook? Also can I folder structure in Outlook start automatically expand to allow IMAP? I know there are lots of queries in this single post, but since all are related I thought to not to create new threads (maybe would be useless). Reply soon.

Re: How to set up an IMAP account in Outlook?

If you are using Outlook 2000 in Corporate and Workgroup mode there is no possible use of IMAP. For Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003, the following steps should be followed for setting up an IMAP account:
    1. Tools >> E-mail Accounts >> A new e-mail account >> IMAP
    2. In the mask to record your password enter your individual parameters. Information about the entered values provided by your provider.
    3. Will appear in the Folder List, a second, separate personal folder with your IMAP account.

For Outlook 2007:
    1. Tools >> Account Settings >> E-mail >> New >> Microsoft Exchange Server, POP3, IMAP

Can someone over there can explain me that can I IMAP account with the existing personal folders to manage mine? I think that it is not possible. Because IMAP requires a completely different technical approach, these remain the two account types in Outlook strictly separated. A merger of these two folders is not possible. But then I am not sure about it.
    You are right. It is not possible to IMAP account with the existing personal folders. The news of an IMAP account in Outlook, both server side and in the locally-built IMAP *.pst file stored. But you can change the location of the IMAP file into Outlook:
    1. Close Outlook first and make sure about the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and the Processes tab, the outlook.exe process is actually terminated.
    2. start => Control Panel => Mail
    3. Click on the button Data Files
    4. Select the IMAP data file and click Open folder to.
    5. Move the IMAP *.pst file to the desired location. Do not rename this file. Outlook otherwise created in the same place a new personal folder.
    6. Switch to the data file window, and double back to the IMAP *.pst entry. You will receive an error message telling you that Outlook can not find the personal folder (logical, as you might have even moved!). Refer now in the Explorer window to the new location of your IMAP file.
    7. Close all dialog windows and restart Outlook.
    This procedure works only with Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007

It is also possible to account immediately as first displayed at startup to get the IMAP folders. Although you can use Tools >> Options >> More >> Advanced Options >> Startup in this folder the folder to determine the start as the first controlled to be set Outlook when the order of the personal folder hierarchy in the folder list (First Home Folder with POP3 accounts, then BCM, IMAP etc), however, can not live. Because of the restrictions that are subject to the MAPI, IMAP can only via e-mail folders. All other Outlook items (calendar, tasks, contacts, etc) can not integrate into Outlook. Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003: The folder for Sent Items, Drafts and Deleted Items may not be an IMAP server is stored on. Outlook requires that all special folders documents should be in standard. The IMAP server can act as a non-standard memory, since there special folders (non-mail folders) can not be saved. You can use a server-side Sent Items folder, however, simulate, by rule in the Rules Wizard to create one, all outgoing mail in the IMAP folder you copied:
    1. Create right click on your IMAP root folder and call it a new Sent Items
    2. Go to the Tools the Rules Wizard (Outlook 2003: Rules and Alerts) on.
    3. Create new rule without a template.
    4. Sent message to check on IMAP account this folder to the destination.
    5. Disable the Tools >> Options >> Settings >> E-mail options the checkbox copies of messages in Sent Items folder store.
    IMAP folders in Outlook 2000, Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003 are generally not Unicode-capable, which means moving messages to a Unicode PST file (without 2-gigabyte memory limit) are in will not work. Only Outlook 2007 IMAP folders are Unicode-enabled.

IMAP supports specific folder structures from a POP3 account differ. You have the opportunity to offer each folder set for whether you want the server to manage this or not. Which folders are offered by default, IMAP hangs on the range of your provider. You subscribe to a specific folder by selecting it and press the Subscribe button. You can customize Outlook Today folder and choose the Inbox of your IMAP account's always leave. You will only receive a notification of new messages when you have a constant connection to the IMAP server have. If you dial-up connection to retrieve the e-mail messages from the IMAP store using a will, no audible signal output, the pointer changes its form, and the envelope icon does not appear in the taskbar. Hope that this post added some bit of knowledge.

Also can I folder structure in Outlook start automatically expand to allow IMAP?
    Many users wish that the IMAP mailbox (similar to the POP3 area in the folder list) to expand the folder are displayed. Unfortunately, Outlook shrugs shoulders here with the virtual. The VBA has this requirement:
    Code:
    Private Sub Application_Startup () 

Dim objFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder 
    Dim As String strStartFolder 
    As Long Dim lngFolder 

On Error Resume Next 

'Startup folder set (eg Contacts, Inbox, Tasks, etc.)' 
    strStartFolder = "Outlook Today" 

'Inbox folder Expand All' 
    For lngFolder = 1 To Outlook.Session.Folders.Count 
    Set objFolder = Outlook.Session.Folders (lngFolder). Folders ("Inbox") 
    Call Outlook.ActiveExplorer.SelectFolder (objFolder) 
    Next 

'When the program starts select folder' 
    If strStartFolder = "Outlook Today" Then 
    Set objFolder = Outlook.Session.GetDefaultFolder (olFolderInbox). Parent 
    Else 
    Set objFolder = Outlook.Session.GetDefaultFolder (olFolderInbox). Parent.Folders (strStartFolder) 
    End If 
    Call Outlook.ActiveExplorer.SelectFolder (objFolder) 

Set objFolder = Nothing 

End Sub
    And then you stop the macro:
    1. Then press (Alt) + (F11), the Visual Basic Editor.
    2. Double-click in the Project Explorer on the entry ThisOutlookSession, where you have saved the branches must show the parent, if necessary.
    3. In the code window, the above program lines:
    4. Quit the Visual Basic Editor and save the VBA project
    5. Run the macro using Tools -> Macro -> Macros