Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

My hotmail account keeps sending junk to my contact list?

Windows Software

Old 16-10-2010

My hotmail account keeps sending junk to my contact list?

My hotmail account keeps on sending junk mail to all my contact list. I came to know about this when One of my friend inform me that he receives 20 junk mail from my account. Can any one tell me how I can stop this? I am really have a lot of problem with this account. Please provide any suitable info so that it stop sending those junk mails. Thank you in advance. Your effort will be appreciated.

Old 16-10-2010

Re: My hotmail account keeps sending junk to my contact list?

I will suggest you to first change your secret questions and answer so that your account remain secured and no one try to hack it. The next thing is reply to this post and if possible provide your complete email address so that we can also check that your account is not hacked. Please provide this information as soon as possible. so that you get proper solution to stop your account sending junk mail to contact list.
Old 16-10-2010

Thank you for your suggestion I had already changed my security information. I notice that within OPTIONS my automatically vacation reply box was fulled with this junk mail. i had cleared them but still send the same email promoting to this web sites. I have found that there is many complaints about the same thing happening. Is this is virus or some malicious software has changed the setting of my vocation reply box. I am using protection software and it does not show any virus or spyware on my computer.I am sure that I can't provide my email address to any unknown person.Hope you will not mind it at all and provide the essential info to solve this issue.
Old 16-10-2010

I remember this is the same attack as I have suffered before two months. For that I have lost more than 400 deleted message and 3 days send and inbox. I was unable to send anything as I had over my 24 hour limit. I just change the password for my live account. Now running Norton 360 suite to scan for viruses and malware so that I can't get such type of attacked in future.
Old 16-10-2010

I can't confirm you whether someone has hacked your account or this is happening due to some virus or malware. You can report this problem to the hotmail abuse team so that they can help to solve your problem. You can contact them via private message below is the way you can follow to view the PM.
  1. At the upper side of page you can click on sign in name displayed right signed in as
  2. You can select under My private message "Hotmail abuse team e-mail address"
Old 16-10-2010

Many users have reported about the unauthorized changes to Vacation reply box and also to their personal email setting. You can check whether you account has been compromised or not, click on OPTION button in upper right corner and you will get next window click on More Options. It is so consistent over extended period and it seem to be happening due to some automated bots which breaches the system security. You will be point to report about this to the abuse team at some point while performing this.
Old 16-10-2010

I too suggest you to contact Hotmail abuse team for help. You can login to windowslivehelp.com site and you can read how you can report to the abuse team in windows live hotmail. You can also scan your computer for malware or any virus. You can also check your account signature and vacation reply box if it were changed:
Follow to check your signature:
1.click Options in the upper-right corner of hotmail home page, then click More options.
2.select Personal e-mail signature [Under Customize your mail] .
3. Delete signature and then click Save.
Follow to check vacation reply:
1.click Options in the upper-right corner of hotmail home page, then click More options.
2.Select "Send automated vacation replies" Under Manage your account.
3 Select " Send vacation replies to people who e-mail you".
4.Delete message from text and click Save.
Old 16-10-2010

I am aware of this problem and this is caused by malware. Follow thw below instruction to keep your account more secure:
1]aviod posting any personal information on Internet forum, chat room, blog, or social networking site.
2]Try to update your secret question and answer
3]Never use the secret question and answer which you have shared on a social networking site.
4]Always use strong password. Choose password which contain uppercase, lowercase,numbers and special characters.
5]Check your password strength
6]Try to change your password occasionally.
7]Change your account information and keep your account information up to date.
Old 16-10-2010

You can remove the vacation reply set in your account by following these steps:
1] Open windows.live.com, login to your account(Hotmail account)
2]click Options and then select "More Options" from upper right corner
3]click the "Send automated vacation replies" under manage your account
4]Click on Don't send any vacation replies.
5]Select message on the box when the page is fully loaded
6]Press delete to remove the selected message in the box
7]Select save button
If the message is not removed by following the above setting then optimize your browser and then try to follow the above step again. this will help you that your account is not preventing you from updating your account. And please check this may be happening due to some virus or malware propagating through instant messaging.
Old 16-10-2010

You must be aware that worm sends various message that make person to clicl on this link which leads to website. When you click on this link it download the copy of worm on your system. After download is start gathering the email address stored on system and send email top all of them. It can also create the addresses using the common domain name.You can prevent your system from this viruses
a)Have the most recent virus definitions you can call them to get additional information
b)Don't click on such malicious link
c)Do not open any attachment until you are sure it is from legal person
d)Try to download the latest updates from windows
If you think your system is already infected by this attack then you can get online support for security related issues.Hope this will help to get rid of your issue.
Old 16-10-2010

Thank for your valuable. I follow the instruction given to delete the vacation reply set up in my hotmail account. I have deleted it and know the problem is solved. I have also started following the instructions given by you to protect the system from virus or malware. Now I have successfully resolve from my account. Hope this will be helpful to others.
Old 16-10-2010

Microsoft is doing following to improve Hotmail's security and prevent hijackings.
1} They are providing an option which will allow user to specify default IP address. If the sigin is not recognized on to hotmail then user secret questions must be answered correctly before the signin is accepted.
2}User will be asked if the multiple user are logged in on the same account at the same time with different computer. And the Ip address of all the system using this account can be displayed.
3}You will get a table which shows the last 10 sign on attempts to user account
Old 16-10-2010

Having same issue with hotmail account. So I changed my password but still my account keeps on sending emails like an electronic machine to all my contacts. i have tried deleting the vacation reply but even then it keeps on sending the spam messages to all my contacts. Should I close this account and start the new account or there is any solution to fix this problem. Your effort will be appreciated so please share your information to solve this issue. Thank you in advance.
Old 16-10-2010

I too have the same issue with my account but the message sent are not showing in my sent box. i am getting calls from my friend saying that they are not getting no end of spam from my account and their email box is fulled with this spam messages send by me.How can this be shortlisted so that it does not send any more such spam message.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,